Report export in excel format causes QUICKEN to close

Jack R
Jack R Member ✭✭
Exporting a capital gain report in Excel format caused Quicken to close. The saved report will not open in Excel. Excel error message says the file is either not in the correct format or is corrupted.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Jack R
    Jack R Member ✭✭
    The version I am using is R28.24. I had tried rebooting (restart)several times and the error still occurred. I did the validate files as instructed, but the error still occurred. I then restored a backup of the data file from earlier and found one that the capital gain report export to excel worked. I then updated the transactions as I would normally. After updating all the cash and credit card accounts, the capital gain report export to excel worked correctly. I then updated the transactions for a small investment account and the export to excel still worked. I then updated the main investment account by download from the bank site as I always have and the export to excel failed and Quicken crashed. I can export the capital gain report in TXT format and I can convert that to excel by using Excel. Is it possible that there are too many transactions in the main investment account? there are 22 years of activity in that account.

Only reports in the investing section of the Report Menu seem to be affected.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In that investment account, have you had any stock splits recently? AAPL? TSLA? Others?
    If so, have they been recorded correctly or are the downloaded transactions and/or price history updates for the last week funky?
    I recommend you report this situation to Quicken Support without making too many changes to your data file (you want to retain a version of your data file where you can reproduce the error at will).
  • Jack R
    Jack R Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your input. I do not think the problem is with the data file as the quicken reports all seem to work properly and I can export the report to txt format. There just seems to be something in the export to Excel.
  • Hello @Jack R,

Thank you for trying the troubleshooting suggestions previously provided.

At this point, I would recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support instead, for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

I apologize that efforts from the Community were unable to resolve this for you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jack R
    Jack R Member ✭✭
    I contacted Quicken Support on 9/8 and spent 3 hours on the phone with a representative. Everything he tried was to no avail. At the end of the session the representative final answer was that Quicken does not work properly if you are on a network and I should work with my IT department to disconnect from the network. I think this was an absurd suggestion. My computer is on a private home network. However the Quicken program and the data file are on the same hard disk in the computer I was working on. The only other things on the network were the modem/router and 2 printers. Also, as the problem only comes up when exporting a select few reports to Excel, and most others work properly, I do not see how the network could be the cause. And I think that most Quicken users probably have a home network so there would be more widespread problems such as mine.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, you are using Quicken strictly on a local PC and the data file does not reside on the network? Is your issue with any/all reports you attempt to export to Excel, or only select few? If just a few exports, have you tried recreating one report as a test to see if there is a possible issue with the saved report that is causing the crash?
  • Jack R
    Jack R Member ✭✭
    I am using a local PC and the data file resides on that computer. The problem with the export to Excel seems to only affect the Capital Gains Report and the Investment Transaction Report. These are the standard Quicken reports and not a saved report that I created. As I originally stated, these reports do export in TXT format which I can convert to Excel using Excel. When I Export to excel, there is an Excel file created but it appears to be "empty" as it its file size is 0kb and when I try to open it with Excel I receive an error message that the file is either not in the correct format or is corrupted.

I restored my data from a file from early August where the reports did export properly. I then reentered all the transactions to date and the the export failed.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you may have uncovered a bug. I would suggest using the Report a problem under Help. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until the developers take this up to resolve.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW:  My preference to to export reports to Excel using the Copy to Clipboard function and then pasting into the Excel sheet.
This discussion has been closed.