I have 2 different seperate investment accounts with the same institution (Fidelity)

How do you record the same mutual funds in 2 different accounts. Want them to be distinct from each other. Example: FBGRX, Blue Chip Growth. I want to record it as 2 separate funds in 2 different accounts. In other words, I want to keep all the transactions separate for the two different accounts. How do I duplicate the fund name to be distinct for each account. Every time I try and add FBGRX to the new account, with the fund symbol, it just uses the account name I already have in the other account, so I am unable to keep the transactions for that fund separate. In other words, it combines all the transactions under one name. I want to keep transactions distinct and seperate.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    To create a second security for the mutual fund: press Ctrl + Y, select Add Security, Click here, provide a unique Name, select Mutual Fund from the Security type: pull-down menu, Next, Done, right-click on the new security's name and select Edit, provide the Symbol FBGRX, and select OK, OK, and Done.  
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "In other words, I want to keep all the transactions separate for the two different accounts."
    I don't understand.  Even though two Accounts both have the same fund inside of them, any transactions involving this fund in either Account are completely separate.  Any transaction of any sort involving FBGRX in Account "A" is identified as an "Account A transaction" and any transaction of any sort involving FBGRX in Account "B" is identified as an "Account B transaction."  They are readily and easily distinguishable.
    What is it that you're trying to do that requires the same mutual fund must have two different names in your Quicken file?

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @rskagawa,

I'm just curious about what you are trying to accomplish.  If you have setup two different accounts in Quicken, the transactions for each account will be separate, and what happens in one account will not affect the other. What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Using distinct securities in Quicken for the same security in different accounts allows the separate holdings to have different attributes: tax free, average cost, back load, etc..
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rskagawa said:
     In other words, I want to keep all the transactions separate for the two different accounts. 
    Not sure how you get "tax free, average cost, back load. etc.." from the above statement, but my crystal ball was taken away some time ago...

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Frankx said:
    rskagawa said:
     In other words, I want to keep all the transactions separate for the two different accounts. 
    Not sure how you get "tax free, average cost, back load. etc.." from the above statement, but my crystal ball was taken away some time ago...

Franks
    I get it from the entirety of the original post - not one line taken out of context - and years of experience.  The desire to use distinct securities for holdings in different accounts is not a new issue.