Lost data

Why is there an option to backup files? It seems that the backup function doesn't really do that. When my register was stripped of several days transactions. the previous night's backup was altered also. Tech support started by having me make a copy of my file before proceeding. Is copy file the only way to preserve a record of the file under Quicken's control?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that the stripping of transactions happened before the backup was made since Quicken backups are copies of the data file with the extension of .QDF-backup versus .QDF .

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""ML Johnston" ,

I found that if you close all Registers and click on the Home Tab, before doing a Manual Backup, Manual Backups with the Date option checked, preserves the entire Data File, without problems. Try it.

Once created, Restore the Backup under a different file name and compare the original to the Restored Original.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""ML Johnston" ,

I found that if you close all Registers and click on the Home Tab, before doing a Manual Backup, Manual Backups with the Date option checked, preserves the entire Data File, without problems. Try it.

This shouldn't be necessary, if it is, that is a major bug in Quicken.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    My guess and that's all we really can do would be either as @splasher suggests and the problem happened before that backup (other backups that are even older might prove that), or there is a problem in Quicken itself (and/or the Quicken servers).  And if it is the second problem it will repeat no matter what data file you open (even though it might appear a bit different on each because they contain different data).

Personally based on my own experience and looking at posts on here I believe that lately there have been several bugs introduced into Quicken that have been causing data loss.

In my case I proved by doubt (to myself) that when Quicken Inc switched Quicken Windows' Express Web Connect backend connection method it removed all of my Express Web Connect accounts.  As long as that connection method was being used they would be removed no matter what version of Quicken I used or what data file I used.

In other cases I have seen here the syncing to the Quicken Cloud has caused the data loss.  This isn't much of a surprise since it has been happening on and off for years, but it seems to be happening more frequently recently.

It isn't much of a surprise either because from what I can tell the new connection method used for Express Web Connect is now in fact that same sync to cloud process, just maybe with a different set of data on the server. As in the sync is now more than just bringing down transactions, it can now change/delete existing transactions in the data file, and even delete the account.  A very dangerous thing.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.