Losing An Account From My Data File After Cloud Synch

I performed a manual Cloud Synch on my data file and then closed Quicken For Windows. The next time I opened Quicken, one of my banking accounts was completely missing from the data file - a loss of 15 years of transaction data. Gulp.

I restored and opened a backup copy of the data file, confirmed that it contained the banking account in question and then performed a cloud synch via One Step Update. Same outcome - after the synch was completed the banking account was missing from the data file.

Next, I again restored and reopened a backup copy of the data file. I changed the One Step Update settings and turned off Cloud Synch. Then I ran the One Step Update to completion. This time the banking account was still present. So that's my work around for now. Of course, I'd like to have my data synched on the cloud so I can also access it from my mobile device.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Best Answer

Answers

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Hi @"j1swallen ,

[removed - inaccurate]

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

Quicken Support links are included.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @h1swallen

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. We have recently been seeing a couple of errors similar to the ones you have but I do have a couple of questions first. Was the account on Express web connect or direct connect? Do you use multiple files with similar data or just a singular one? 

Once you have a chance let us know!

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

You are limited to the number of Accounts, that can be synced to the Cloud. You cannot sync the entire file. 
    I know no such limitation as far as how many accounts can be synced.  It is true that the entire file isn't synced, but that only means that not all the transactions in the accounts are synced, that is limited.  And there is lots of things in the data file that aren't synced at all like the reminders, and bills and such.

I agree with @m@markus1957 this sounds like the problem stated in that link, as in Quicken cloud (and Express Web Connect for that matter) are now deleting accounts.

The problem seems to stem from the data file and the Quicken cloud account data getting out of sync.  You can reset your cloud data as a temporary fix, but at this point it isn't known what really gets your data file/cloud data into this state.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • j1swallen
    j1swallen Member ✭✭
    I have a single data file containing all of my accounts and their transaction detail. I make manual backups of the data every 7-10 days and each backup copy has a unique name. The *.QDF file and the backup copies are in separate folders on my local PC.

I may be misunderstanding your question about express vs direct connect but I'll give it a shot. The account that disappeared during Cloud Synch contains only manual-entered transactions. I'm not downloading any transactions for this account from the financial institution.

Thanks - Jon
  • j1swallen
    j1swallen Member ✭✭
    @markus1957 said:
    > Adding- if you are not using more than one Quicken file, you should restore a backup and then before you use OSU or manual sync, use Reset Cloud File in Edit>Preferences menu.  That will delete the current cloud file and create one to match your desktop file.  Then verify in the Mobile tab that the accounts you desire are selected for syncing. If so, run an OSU to confirm it is fixed.

Thank you for your suggestion and instructions @markus1957 on resetting the cloud file. It worked perfectly and my Quicken Windows desktop file and my cloud data are once again in 100% alignment.
  • tom@copeland
    tom@copeland Member ✭✭
    From j1swallen's original comment, I have experienced exactly the same situation.

This appears to be all related to the New Cloud Service

I have had two accounts removed on three different occasions as i tried to get the New Cloud Sync to work correctly on 3 separate occasions.

While one account is a popular and heavily use checking account via Webconnect, the second account has no automated downloads - it is all manually managed.

What I find distressing about this is that when this happens - the accounts are GONE. They are not hidden or anything like that - they are removed from my local Quicken data file. Thank goodness for a good backup procedure.

Also - mentioned above is that it is thought this is related to multiple datafiles being used under 1 Quicken instance. That is not the case for me - I have 1 and only 1 data file and experienced this problem every time I tried the new Cloud Sync.

Also worth noting - i would use the VALIDATE procedure to ensure the data file was proper in every sense before attempting to get SYNC to work again. This apparently has no bearing.

I see this as a major problem - as the removing of accounts within Quicken on the PC does not give me the comfort that Quicken has this under control. While I used the Quicken App routinely under the old cloud service - using SYNC now is no longer an option as it is so destructive in nature.

Having used Quicken since 1995, this new cloud SYNC issue is very concerning.
  • Scott Zucker
    Scott Zucker Member ✭✭
    I am experiencing the same or similar problems and it has shaken my confidence in Quicken. This also is just the latest in a string of problems that has be spending all of my time getting basic Quicken functionality to work with stability, leaving no time to get value out of the software.

In my case after Quicken completed the sync to the new cloud service a credit card account and several closed bank accounts disappeared. They were accounts that I have to update manually or accounts that are closed, but that I still need to maintain the integrity of account transfers.

When I restored from my most recent back-up the problems began to cascade. I was able to get my accounts back, but I then received an error indicating that two local payment accounts were not found on the server and were deleted. Now it seems I will have to re-setup my payment accounts and re-create all of the manual entry that had been done after the last back-up.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice that the missing accounts were missing before I started the manual entries. It's all very frustrating. When I take stock of the fact that syncing to the cloud service can cause data to be deleted from a local file without any warning, it draws the core integrity of the product into question. All the new features and conveniences Quicken is touting don't mean a thing, if the product can't maintain data integrity and can't be counted on to work reliably.
  • Angelo Bione
    Angelo Bione Member ✭✭
    I have another thread started that may be similar. I have regularly now had to deactivate and reactivate various accounts that quit responding to OSU. Today I restored a file from backup and did this to get Bank of America going again. After this process all but one of my Bill accounts disappeared. Also have seen recently a OSU update account completely disappear.
  • GlennD
    GlennD Member ✭✭
    I had just set up the Cloud Service yesterday and did a sync. I went into my Quicken data file - I have only one - and I have lost at least 2 of my accounts (one CC and one Property & Debt).
  • SMT2
    SMT2 Member ✭✭✭
    @GlennD. For a short-term solution to mitigate this problem in the future, check out this post - https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20133852#Comment_20133852.

In addition, according to the most recent Quicken Release R30.14 (Dec 2020), the release note indicates it fixed the problem. I wonder whether you are currently on this release. If you are, the update may not have resolved all possible scenarios for this issue.

Release R30.14 (Dec 2020)
    Fixed: Resolved an issue in which accounts migrated to Quicken Cloud Services were, in rare circumstances, deleted during One Step Update.
This discussion has been closed.