Reconcile issues plus Quicken lost its memory

Options
For several months I have observed that when I go to reconcile my checking account, first, the beginning balance (which should match the ending balance from the previous month) is not correct. I simply adjust it and go on and Quicken makes a reconciliation entry. Next, Quicken seems to have no knowledge of the calendar. The last day of May is May 31, for June, June 30, etc. The last day of the month is almost always incorrect for the month being balanced. I adjust it and go on. But is this right?

This month I first made some entries first and then attempted to reconcile. After I completed the reconciliation suddenly Quicken showed I was -$13k when I had started with a positive balance, before reconciliation, of $9200. I could figure out no way to get back to where I was before the reconciliation so I abandoned my work opened my latest backup but am afraid to do anything with it. I'm afraid to enter anymore data into Quicken.

I would comment that I have gone through MANY versions of Quicken and this file is over 10 years old. Is there a size limit to my Quicken database? It's like suddenly Quicken has multiple forms of amnesia. It doesn't remember the previous balance from the previous month's reconcile and it doesn't know the calendar anymore.

Should I copy my Quicken database and give it a new name?
Should I uninstall and reinstall Quicken? Is it possible my installed version (which you guys update automatically all the time) is somehow corrupted?

Please advise what I need to do to have a working Quicken. I am on Windows 10 FYI.
Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current datafile with the running balance of the account register from a datafile backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.

Regarding size limits, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file
  • cantatrice
    Options
    So apparently size is not an issue.

I could not say when a reconcile last had a correct balance.

Your suggestion is not useful.

I have years of backups (and years of paper bank statements with reconciliation reports)?and no way to determine when the last correct reconcile was.

What is most important to me about quicken is the records of transactions. Correct balances are nice but apparently impossible to achieve, sounds like.

What freaked me out today was suddenly the balances changed by over $20000 (no entries I made) after a reconcile. Sounds like there is no fix.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @cantatrice

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and research this further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.