How can I convert an account from "asset" to "cash"

Bertilak
Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
I created an account years ago and mistakenly created it as an asset instead of as cash.

Can I convert this from "asset" to "cash"?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Sherlock said:
    Bertilak said:
    Sherlock and Squirrel,

Thanks! My first thought, before I posted here, was to export the account as a QIF then import it after deleting the original account and editing the QIF to change the first line from
    !Type:Oth A
    to 
    !Type:Cash

Might that be more reliable? Will it actually work?
    It's feasible but less reliable than simply creating the Cash account and moving the transactions.
    Sherlock,

I did that -- created a new cash account and moved the transactions. This worked but with a complication. If a transaction to be moved is part of a split transaction Quicken will not move it.

I dealt with that by doing a restore, removing that part of the split and making it a separate transaction, then redoing the move. Once the move was complete I recreated the split. That part did not really NEED to be done as the two, now separate, transactions kept things properly balanced. but I wanted to keep the split in its original form to more accurately reflect what actually happened.  All is now well.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You cannot change the account type from Asset to Cash.
    What you can do is create a new Cash account and move all the transactions into it from the Asset account.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Sherlock and Squirrel,

Thanks! My first thought, before I posted here, was to export the account as a QIF then import it after deleting the original account and editing the QIF to change the first line from
    to 

I guess I could make a copy of the whole QDF file, give the above a try, then restore the QDF if it doesn't go well. I will try that now!

I'M BACK ---

It didn't work. So I restored the original QDF file. I will need to investigate more.

The original account had about 150 transactions but after re-importing it there were only about 21. A mystery.  I couldn't identify anything unique about the transactions that were (or weren't) skipped on the import. The QIF file seemed normal but that's one of the things I need to look closer at.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not feasible if you have any Attachments or Notes on any transactions. Those cannot be transferred via QIF. Just do it within Quicken as advised.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Sherlock said:
    Bertilak said:
    Sherlock and Squirrel,

to 

It's feasible but less reliable than simply creating the Cash account and moving the transactions.
    Sherlock,

I did that -- created a new cash account and moved the transactions. This worked but with a complication. If a transaction to be moved is part of a split transaction Quicken will not move it.

I dealt with that by doing a restore, removing that part of the split and making it a separate transaction, then redoing the move. Once the move was complete I recreated the split. That part did not really NEED to be done as the two, now separate, transactions kept things properly balanced. but I wanted to keep the split in its original form to more accurately reflect what actually happened.  All is now well.
  • Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    Bertilak said:
    Sherlock and Squirrel,

to 

Sherlock,

Moving the transactions to a new cash account worked but with a complication. If the transaction  to be moved is part of a split transfer from another account Quicken will not move it.

I fixed this by un-splitting the transaction, doing the move, and then reconstructing the split. All is now well.