Transfers not showing in receiving account.

Options
Launce
Launce Member ✭✭
I'm experiencing what I gather is a common problem: A few weeks ago, transfers between my checking accounts (Ckg) and one of my credit card accounts (CC) stopped showing up on the receiving side.

Certain observations:

- manual as well as downloaded transfers initiated in Ckg don't appear in CC register
- problem exists for both payments and deposits
- transfers initiated in CC register do show up in Ckg register (i.e., correctly)
- transfers initiated with Transfer Money dropdown option show up correctly
- the CC register balance does not reflect the missing payment
- in the Ckg register, the CC account name in "Category" does not have brackets; adding brackets manually doesn't change this
- the balance register for CC does not show the missing transfer, but does take it into account in computing the balance

Fixes from earlier threads that didn't work:

- closing and reopening file
- validating file
- supervalidating
- re-sorting on Date column
- Transfer Detection in Preferences

I won't include images because with all the redactions they're meaningless.

QW 2020 Build 27.1.30.14

Any ideas?

Best Answer

• Launce
    Launce Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Last follow-up. After deactivating and reactivating online downloads for the Ckg and CC accounts, and syncing with the cloud, the "stuck" CC name is now gone and I was able to restore its original name.

Maybe this thread will help someone else ...

Answers

• Launce
    Launce Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hmm. OK, while writing that all out I thought of a workaround --

If I rename the credit card account ("CC") then transfers are recorded correctly in both accounts. Score!

But if I try to rename CC back to the original name, or create a new account with that name, it says "Name already in use" -- even though that name does not appear in the Account List (including hidden accounts). It also does not appear in the Category List, as a transfer or as a spending category.

So it appears that the old CC account name is "stuck" somehow, invisible.

I suppose my workaround solves the problem. But I'd still like to know whether the stuck credit-card account name is likely to cause issues down the road, or if there's a way actually to correct it.
  • Launce
    Launce Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Last follow-up. After deactivating and reactivating online downloads for the Ckg and CC accounts, and syncing with the cloud, the "stuck" CC name is now gone and I was able to restore its original name.

Maybe this thread will help someone else ...
  • Randy123
    Randy123 Member
    Options
    I'm having what looks like a similar problem.

I can't record transfers to a newly created account. The transfer is saved as an empty transaction (zero amounts)

From the newly created account, putting an amount into one of the empty transactions will remove (zero) the amount in the source transaction of the transfer.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Randy123
    Randy123 Member
    Options
    The data was created using the latest U.S. (subscription) version, then updated / converted when I got the correct Canadian version.

The support person said it would be compatible, probably it just wasn't. Starting over, hopefully can export, fix, and re-import 1200 manual entries.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Randy123 said:
    The support person said it would be compatible, probably it just wasn't. Starting over, hopefully can export, fix, and re-import 1200 manual entries.
    There are some really big "caveats" to that conversion being "compatible".

The main ones that come to mind are the tax lines and the home currency.

The way Quicken does the tax lines is by "number".  As in there is a file in the install that holds the various tax line information.  This file is different between the US and Canadian, but there isn't anything in the Category/tax lines that tells the "difference".

In other words a given category gets "tax line 8", which XXX in the US tax code.  Well when the data file is opened in the Canadian version it will still be "tax line 8", but of course mean something completely different in the Canadian tax code.

In general these might be "correctible", but not for the built-in categories.

On the home currency.  For whatever reason the Canadian version of Quicken doesn't allow for the changing of the home currency.  It is just expected to always be CAD.  If one switches to the Canadian version and the home currency isn't CAD then the only way to get it to be CAD is to open it again in the US version and change it.

Other possible problems would be in the account types.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.