How do you enter a convertible promissory note, after you are already own shares in the company?

The company is already set up as a Security, and I already have shares recorded. Now I have a promissory convertible note, that will (hopefully) convert to shares at a discounted price in the future.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The convertible promissory note is an entirely distinct security from the shares you already own; it has a different name, different ticker symbol and a different CUSIP, if publicly traded.  You should have no trouble creating it in Quicken. 
    Why do you ask?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The convertible promissory note is an entirely distinct security from the shares you already own; it has a different name, different ticker symbol and a different CUSIP, if publicly traded.  You should have no trouble creating it in Quicken. 
    Why do you ask?
  • Fred8
    Fred8 Member ✭✭
    This is for a startup company - not publicly traded. I hadn’t thought of considering the note as a different security from the stock. Thanks for the answer.
  • SavageDoc
    SavageDoc Member
    I just invested in convertible notes that can be converted to shares, but the company is not publicly traded and there is no ticker symbol. How do I add that to Quicken? I made the investment through my Roth IRA account.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    @SavageDoc:  You manually create a security (Ctrl-Y, Add Security, 'Click here' at the bottom of the screen).  I like to give all securities some form of a ticker, just to keep things clearly straight inside Quicken.  After you create the security, you can Buy or Add Shares into your IRA account.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    If you give a special security a ticker symbol, be sure it is unique and un-check the Download Quotes box.

If the box is checked, Quicken sometimes gets creative and downloads quotes for another security.
    QWin Premier subscription