When entering a split transaction for the bi-weekly paycheck, do you enter the amounts as positive?

My employer direct deposits my pay. I want to be able to record this as a split transaction to ensure that I accurately tracking taxes, 401K contributions, and other deductions. After I enter the net pay amount, do I enter the deductions as positive or negative numbers in order for the entire transaction to equal my gross pay?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you use the paycheck reminder wizard, you enter everything as positive numbers and Quicken subtracts as necessary.
    If you are creating your own split, the paychecks gross amount would be positive and the rest would be negative so that the net of the split to be shown in the register would be your netpay.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    In the split transaction, the gross pay is a positive entry and the deductions are negative entries.

I suggest you using a paycheck reminder created using the Paycheck Setup wizard to enter your paycheck transactions: press Ctrl + J, select Add > Income Reminder and Paycheck Setup wizard
  • anthonerw
    anthonerw Member
    Thanks for the assistance. It worked out as noted.