Schwab Password Special Characters

For years Schwab has supported using special characters in their password. Quicken will NOT ALLOW special characters ONLY for Schwab. Iuse them for many othe companies in Quicken. I really do not like to use passwords without special characters. It has been going on for years now. Why do I pay annual support when Quicken can't support a huge company like Schwab. In these days of high secruity awareness, why can't Quicken make this a priority instead of adding functionality nobody uses anyway.

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Hi   @"jim hanekamp" ,

Which Schwab are you referring to? Bank or Brokerage site?

https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/client_home  That's Brokerage

https://www.schwab.com/bank  Both appear to use the same login.

There are some Special Characters which can't be used. They are < & > / and \
    Other Special Characters can be used.

What Special Characters are you attempting to use?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• I am referring to the brokerage site. Schwab allows most all special characters for years now. Why do you not support what they support? I am trying to use ! And @.
  • thecreator
    The @ symbol is reserved for an Email Address. Like  in thecreator@comcast.net

Drop using the @ Symbol. Change the password to use a different Special Character, other than the previously mentioned Special Characters and the @ Symbol.

Special Characters are usable, except those that causes Quicken to crash.

• I use the @ sign for lots of other sign one within quicken just fine. This is specific just to Schwab.
  • thecreator
    Okay. but instead of fighting to use the @ Symbol, try changing the password and see what happens. It is only one Password.

• I tried using just ! Or just = and neither worked. I changed and made sure I could login on the website. When I try to change the password in the password vault it immediately comes back with “Charles Schwab could not use the password you entered.” It is fine if I do not use any special characters.
  • I have also have the problem with Quicken not allowing special characters for my Schwab investment account password. Has there been a resolution of the issue? What special characters are allowed or disallowed?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @pdphillips1951

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to ask your question.

The problematic special characters can be (but are not limited to) the ampersand (&), left carat (<), right carat (>), backslash (\), and forward-slash (/). 

To learn more, please see the information available here.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • It is just limited to Schwab accounts. Years ago Schwab had limitations. Please remove the specific Schwab code.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    If you haven't already, I suggest you refresh the financial institution's profile: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-currently-unable-verify-financial-institution-information-download

If the issue persists, I suggest you deactivate the Online Services of all of the registers associated with the financial institution.  After you have deactivated the Online Services of all the registers associated with the financial institution, when you activate the Online Services of one of the registers, Quicken should provide a list of all of the accounts it finds at the financial institution and enable you to link the accounts to the appropriate existing registers.
  • jim hanekamp
    jim hanekamp Member
    edited January 2021
    It works as long as I do not try and add to the password vault. Looks like Quicken password vault is the issue is. It would not work when I clicked the box to add to password vault. Works fine if I do not add to password vault while do the deactivate/re-add. If I try to add the password to password vault, ONLY FOR SCHWAB it does not work.[Removed-Duplicate]
  • frenchguy48
    frenchguy48 Member ✭✭
    Sure enough. After a couple months of frustration, trying everything Schwab suggested and the protocols offered by Quicken, I tried Jim's suggestion and hit paydirt. You can use all manner of special characters on a Schwab account and I've done so in the past and connected OK up until an update in late November. After that, direct connect did not work. Despite what Quicken tells you, the solution is to use NO special characters for your Schwab account. I changed my Schwab password several times in the past few weeks but to no avail. Today I changed it to a long character and number string with a mix of uppercase and lowercase and VOILA!!
  • jim hanekamp
    jim hanekamp Member
    edited January 2021
    [Removed-Duplicate/Spam]
  • I also agree with Jim and Frenchguy the bug is in the password vault. Will it be reported as a bug and get fixed?
  • G S
    G S Member
    Same problem on multiple financial institutions. Will not renew subscription until bugs like this are fixed. Not worth it to put weaker passwords on accounts just to make them work in Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.