Holdings seem to have linked Quote/Price data

Patrick Bimonte
Patrick Bimonte Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in Investing (Windows)
I download my 401k information automatically from Prudential, I have my contributions as part of a paycheck split but sometime in the last 2 or 3 updates my 401k balance is incorrect.

I've tracked it down to 3 of the holdings seemingly having linked Quote/Price values. The "Shares" count is right for all 3 of these holdings, but the "Quote/Price" value is the same for all 3 (but only right for one).

If I try to manually change the "Quote/Price" value for one to correct it, it changes the value for all 3.

Has anyone ever seen this happen? Is there a way to fix it? I've tried a Validate and Repair with rebuilding the investments, I have not done a Super Validate.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The next thing I'd try is going to the 3 securities' "Edit Security Detail" window and unchecking the "Matched with online security" box.  The next time you do a download in the Account you'll be asked to match these 3 securities with the securities reported by the financial institution.  That might fix things.
  • Patrick Bimonte
    I went through the process, re-matched the holdings and they still all have the same Quote/Price (correct for one of the holdings, not the other 2) and they are still linked within Quicken somehow. Changing one changes all 3.
  • Patrick Bimonte
    Ok, I figured it out based on the Edit Security suggestion ... the Symbol for all 3 was listed as "NULL" ... Quicken uses the Symbol to determine the Quote/Price. I've changed the other 2 to NULL2 and NULL 3 and will try to see if I can fix things ... of course, Prudential has decided that now is a good time to have issues with my account. Will keep this thread updated.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost suggested looking at the ticker symbols but since they securities are matched the ticker symbols should have been good.  Seems like something's screwy at Prudential's end.
  • Patrick Bimonte
    Once the Symbols were changed it let me change the Quote/Cost individually. Issues is, because a couple of the holdings are Prudential specific, they have no symbol so hopefully Quicken will keep up with the Quote/Cost via a different method than the Symbol. I'll keep an eye on it and keep the thread updated. I won't know until there is an actual update to Quote/Cost that gets downloaded.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you make the symbol blank or something unique as you have done, you will not see this problem. 

The issue arose because Prudential used the symbol "NULL" for more than one of their own securities in the downloaded data.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Quote Updates" or "Historical Quotes" will not add or supply data for the security price history since they will not recognize the "NULL1", -2, -3 tickers.  

Prudential SHOULD still update prices because you should be able to see that those three securities are still showing "Matched with online security" and as such, they should be matched based on a 'CUSIP' or other unique identifier created by Prudential.  Those updates will likely be only for one specific day (likely the day before the download, but that depends on the timing of your download from Prudential and how they date the information). 

You should be able to see the CUSIP ID information for the securities via the Security List - Ctrl-Y   
  • I have several non-symbol holdings in my Prudential 401k that get wiped out and removed from my security holdings in Quicken when the first update is run following the addition of account via download. When the account is first set up, everything is accurate down to the penny. Then with an update, 3/4 of the holdings just disappear. Any idea what's different about an update vs. the original file downloaded to establish the account?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several non-symbol holdings in my Prudential 401k that get wiped out and removed from my security holdings in Quicken when the first update is run following the addition of account via download. When the account is first set up, everything is accurate down to the penny. Then with an update, 3/4 of the holdings just disappear. Any idea what's different about an update vs. the original file downloaded to establish the account?
    Two considerations. 
    Since you refer to these as non-symbol holdings, my policy is to assign a symbol to every security. I make one up when necessary. 
    Since you are downloading info, you want to be sure there is. CUSIP assigned to the security (see security list info) and that the security is matched with online security. The CUSIP and match tie together. 
    I don’t know that either consideration will prevent your issue, but they might help. 
  • Thanks. I've actually tried all of that and it has not made any difference. I just deleted the Quicken account, and started over. The first file is fine, and the securities match when I run the Online Center in Tools. So far, so good. Then I run an update and stuff just disappears. Oddly enough, one or two that have no symbols actually remains. Everything has a CUSIP. Running the Online Center Tool now points out that the holdings don't match and it wasn't to insert place holders for everything that's missing. Just for laughs, I give that a whirl and now the balances are even further off than before. The placeholders don't even apply the right values. I can't see any pattern to it.