Memo Field is automatically populated

When I download entries from bank or credit cards, I get entries that go into the Memo field. How do I stop these entries? They mean nothing to me.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You would have to use a Memorized Payee (MP) with something other than blank in the memo field.  I am also irritated by this but I was not willing to put something like a "." in the memo field of the MP to prevent the DL's memo which is typically in my cases the store's name.  So, I let it put them in and then go back and delete the memo.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • jdlessley
    jdlessley Member
    I use programs such as Quicken to reduce my workload in tracking financial transactions - not to increase my workload. This issue is just another long list of problems with Quicken that have been introduced as program updates are rolled out. I can get better results using a spreadsheet.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must be doing something wrong, because for me the suggested "put a period '.' in the Memo text of a Memorized Payee List entry" works well. Quicken does not populate the Memo field with downloaded data when the Memo field already has data in it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    I must be doing something wrong, because for me the suggested "put a period '.' in the Memo text of a Memorized Payee List entry" works well. Quicken does not populate the Memo field with downloaded data when the Memo field already has data in it.
    Are you pre-entering your transactions?

This what I have found.  If the transaction is pre-entered with something in the memo field and then matched to the downloaded transaction the downloaded memo will not override the period.

On the other hand if the transaction isn’t pre-entered it doesn’t matter what is stored in the memo in the memorized payee list, the downloaded one will win.  If you aren’t pre-entering the transaction the only time the memo in the memorized payee list is used is if there isn’t any downloaded memo.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/