Categories and Memoranda rewritten

Options
Quicken is rewriting memoranda and changing categories (or picking strange ones). Sometimes it even creates splits. This seems to be a new trick it's learned, & I found it as I worked on my new year's project of reconciling all my accounts.

For instance, Costco transactions. Quicken started assigning all of them to "gas & fuel" category, including grocery & online transactions. The info from the the credit card used in these transactions carries the same info it has always had to help categorize it, but now something else is deciding instead.

Amazon store card transactions will use the same category & memo for months, then switch to something else.

In some cases it's auto-creating splits. These usually have the wrong dollar amounts inside but that didn't matter to balance & reconciliation since the register values were correct even tho the split values weren't. It looks like it learns some of these as part of a pattern somewhere and then copies them.

What is controlling this? I have a vague recollection of experimenting with a feature that was supposed to do some of this, but that was years ago, it didn't work, & I don't recall what it was. Did it wake up? What is it?

Some of this would be handy, perhaps, if I knew what was doing it & how to control it.
I know about payee rewriting triggered by strings, use that some, not real useful. Controlling the categories and tagging automatically could be really useful.

Thanks, ==mwh

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @cecinit2007,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please verify which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

It is possible that this may be caused by saved category rules or saved rules with one payee and multiple categories causing it to just default to one in particular.

You can check for this by following the steps below.
    1. Navigate to Tools
    2. Memorized Payee List
    3. Find the payee(s) that you're experiencing these issues with
    4. Check if the payee has more than 1 line with different categories saved
    (See example below-- payee name, "Albertsons", with 5 lines of saved categories)

If so, delete each line with an undesired category and keep the line that has the desired category saved.

Please, check back and let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.