Can I use the same file on 2 computers

One computer is downstairs, one up. Can I sync with the cloud from downstairs, and will the info I’ve input be on the upstairs after the sync? I use the mobil app on my phone as well.

Or will I physically need to take the backup fob from the downstairs laptop and use restore on the upstairs?

I’m a longtime user, but this seems like a question for this category.

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syncing to the cloud from a Quicken perspective will not do it.  You can take a fob or what I would do is save your Data file on a cloud drive like drop box or Google drive and then copy it on to your other computer. This is what I do with my two computers.
  • njpaisley
    njpaisley Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    > @bmciance said:
    > Syncing to the cloud from a Quicken perspective will not do it.  You can take a fob or what I would do is save your Data file on a cloud drive like drop box or Google drive and then copy it on to your other computer. This is what I do with my two computers.
    Yeah, some data gets pulled over from the cloud, like transfers, but reconcile info on credit cards does not.

Should I take the usb fob used for backup, and “restore backup” on the other, not current, laptop?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Based on new information you shouldn't be doing backups and restores to move back and forth between the two machines.

It has come to life that whenever you do a restore they are making a new copy of the "cloud data".  And there is a limited amount of these.  If you exceed that amount you have to contact Quicken support to delete them for you.

So instead what you should be doing is just copy the QDF file from one machine to the other, and open it.

How you do that copy is really up to you.  You can copy it to something like Google Drive/OneDrive/Dropbox, and then on the other machine copy it back to your local drive.  Or you can do that through the USB drive (FOB) if you like.

In fact you could just leave your QDF on the USB drive an open it from there on each machine.  Depending on the speed of that drive it might be slower, but it would still work.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    njpaisley said:
    > @bmciance said:
    > Syncing to the cloud from a Quicken perspective will not do it.  You can take a fob or what I would do is save your Data file on a cloud drive like drop box or Google drive and then copy it on to your other computer. This is what I do with my two computers.
    Yeah, some data gets pulled over from the cloud, like transfers, but reconcile info on credit cards does not.

Should I take the usb fob used for backup, and “restore backup” on the other, not current, laptop?

If you are synching the accounts to the Quicken Cloud, you may use a web browser to access the data.

If you want to access Quicken remotely, I suggest using a remote desktop client instead.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, the file extension can be changed from ..QDF-backup to .QDF and then opened in Quicken without using restore.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.