Tag Label In a Split Transaction

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Why are tags added to split transactions in Quick/ Windows 10.

Comments

• Merlin
    Merlin Member ✭✭
    After surviving a devastating wildfire in August 2020, getting power and internet restored sometime around the the end of September beginning of October I sat down to finally update my accounts. Problem was the new entries began to show "split" in the tag column, which it never used to do. The first Quicken agent was able to do screen share and rectify the issue. I have been using tags for years with no problem, I was using tags to identify fire and evacuation expenses. The next time I do entries and the problem comes back. Long story short after 20+ hours of talking to more quicken agents who direct to Microsoft to see if One drive was responsible. Finally I had an agent tell me Quicken was supposed to do that. I gave up and waited for some update to fix the problem, still the problem persists. I've read the latest Quicken manuals and have used Quicken for over 25 years. I have never felt so let down by something I have depended on. This problem is not new, I found other posts with the same problem and no solution. Help with this will be greatly appreciated, tax season approaches.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a "split" in the category column also?  They go together ...  If you've got a split for the category, you'll also have split for Tag. And no split category should equal no split tag.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Merlin
    Merlin Member ✭✭
    They didn't used to before late September 2020. Splits stayed in the category column leaving room for tags in the tag column. I spoke with an agent after this post after an hour she said the only solution was to remove the splits from the transactions. I said that kind of defeats the purpose of using Quicken. She apologized and said that was all she could do.
  • Merlin
    Merlin Member ✭✭
    I'm attempting to follow The suggestions in the above link and solve this hopefully as well as Elliot did. I believe most of the steps were followed by previous agents and myself. First it started in just one transaction and spread to all of the transactions in that account as well as all of the accounts in the data file. When I tried down loading older backups they became infected. I even deleted all of the data files from my computer, deleted and restored Quicken. Some how some hidden Q data file remained and the problem persisted. I am relieved that Tyka has acknowledged that there is a bug. I've been promised by quicken agents four months ago that they would report this and yet no relief. Fingers crossed.
  • Merlin
    Merlin Member ✭✭
    I followed the link instructions from Frankx. When I did the test account, I realized a few things. First I downloaded transactions from my checking account. I tend to be old school and input manually from receipts into a customized register with a tag column. I then go to my bank website and check for discrepancies and reconcile. The registers that download from financial institutions are different, this had no tag column. So until I figure out how to insert it the test is incomplete. The most important fact is that my financial institution had instructions to get ready for changes in their system around September 14th. At this time I had no power or internet and I don't generally download. The first thing I did when I got online was to down load all of the updates for Quicken, Windows and Norton. Microsoft had just released a robust version of Onedrive which somehow got itself in Qdata backups. I generally backup to a hard drive, but the way the quicken backup dialog window is setup I'm never sure as it says default backup but not where. I disabled Onedrive and that stopped the insertion of Onedrive in the file strings. Since the pervasive sweep through all of my accounts I can only conclude that a newer version of Quicken does not recognize tags in the way that I have customized my registers. I use tags to differentiate between the expenses of our vehicles and I started to tag our disaster expenses from the fire. I noticed that one Quicken update brought back classes which tags had replaced a few years back. Are tags now obsolete? If so please let me know. I am currently reading the latest books on Quicken I could find to see if I can figure out where to go next. Any help will be greatly appreciated
  • Merlin
    Merlin Member ✭✭
    Okay its official, I customized the register in the test account put in a tag for a transaction and the tag shows up; until you add a split to the transaction. Then the split shows up in the tag window, with the tag nowhere to found in the register. I guess tags are useless until there is a patch for this bug.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merlin said:
    They didn't used to before late September 2020. Splits stayed in the category column leaving room for tags in the tag column.
    Are you talking about seeing --Split-- in the Tag column? Quicken has always done that. This is not new. If you're talking about something else, please clarify. Each split line has its own tag. Quicken does not offer the ability to assign tags to the overall split transaction. If you want to assign tags, do it in the split.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Merlin
    Merlin Member ✭✭
    If that is so how did the first agent I encountered manage to delete all of the splits from the tag boxes. I've using Quicken for over 25 years and I think I would have remembered and a moderator is calling this a bug. I've read through both of the most recent books on Quicken regarding tags and splits with no mention of this. I actually did assign the tag in the split in my test data file. When I clicked on the split in the tag column, the split appeared but I did not see the tag. Where would that show up? In a report?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the Tag column enabled, here is what I see in a typical split transaction. The register line always has --Split-- in both Category and Tag columns. Then each line of the split has its own. Even when all the tags are the same, as below, it still shows --Split-- and always has. Perhaps I'm not understanding your problem.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Merlin
    Merlin Member ✭✭
    What I'm talking about is that the register that I had customized to include a column for tags which it would show only a tag in that column if there was a tag. If there was a split in the Category column it would stay there. At one point that all changed, first with one transaction the split showed up in the tag column preventing me from adding a tag. This had never happened before and one agent cleaned it up but it came back with a vengeance infecting everything. If there is a split transaction split shows up in both the category and tag columns
    even when there aren't any tags in the split window. This never used to happen. if there is only a single category the tag column is clear allowing a tag to be added. I just finished reading the eighth edition of The Quicken Guide for Windows and found that it mentions a few bugs in Quicken. Not this one unfortunately, but for most of them there are work arounds. I was hoping for a fix since an agent fixed this once albeit temporarily. Since Quicken hasn't presented me with a fix for this and nobody seems accept this as a bug I will just have to figure out how to deal with this myself. I spent 26 bucks on a call to a Quicken agent and that's pretty much what she said. Disappointed, yes but I'm getting used to it. I am running Quicken Premier I purchased in June of 2020 and have updated since.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Merlin

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

I believe this is a known issue that has been reported in the discussion available here.

Please let me know if this matches what you are seeing.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Merlin
    Merlin Member ✭✭
    Fairly close; I haven't noticed the mismatching problem as I pretty much left quicken alone after the finding the split showing up in the tag column. At least a couple of people are telling me that the problem I'm having has always been the case. I set out to disprove this theory but starting up my previous computer which died 6/20 and went into Quicken and found the same split in the tag column situation there. So for now I will accept that Quicken is doing this and be vigilant for any other issues that have been mentioned. I await a fix but won't hold my breath. I read my Quicken manual forwards and backwards ,finding that there are a few bugs in Quicken. It has simply reminded me that nothing is perfect. Thank you for taking the time to respond
  • RBrunson
    RBrunson Member ✭✭
    Hello! It's been over a year. Any news on fixing this split/tag bug?
This discussion has been closed.