Specific Report

I am interested in creating a report that tracks interest from banks. plus dividends, long term gains, and short term gains for my non-retirement accounts. The report would include these items that I entered manually and tagged as interest, dividends, long term gains, and short term gains.
In other words just the earnings from my banks and non-retirement funds.

As I try to do so, the Quicken program adds in "income" and "realized gains".
I do not want to include these extra items.

How would I create this account ? Thank you.

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    What you need to do is to create a customized spending report.  You customize it to only have the Accounts you want to have "feeding" information to the reports - bank Accounts, and non-retirement investment Accounts, apparently.  Then you further customize it to only include the Categories you want to see in the report which appears to be interest, dividends and realized capital gains.  On the Advanced tab of the customization screen you make sure that unrealized gains and losses are not included.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Go to the Reports menu, click on Spending [these reports also include income]
    Pick Income and Expense by Category
    Set the date range and interval you want. If you don't want multiple columns, pick None for the interval
    Click on the gear at the top right of the report to customize it
    On the Accounts tab, select the accounts you want to include in the report
    On the Categories tab, pick the types of income you want to include. These will start with _underscores like _DivInc for dividend income.

This report will lump together long and short term capital gains in the _RlzdGain category.

If your interests are more tax-focused, you might try the Reports > Tax > Tax Summary report. This will automatically select just your taxable accounts and categories that have a tax line item associated with them. Again, click the gear to customize and clear any income categories you do not want to see on the report, and if you don't want to see tax related expenses, you must clear or ignore all the expense categories. This will also lump together long and short term gains.

To see the gains separated out, you can use the Reports > Tax > Capital Gains report. On this report, I find it useful to exclude money market funds, which have many transactions and no gain or loss.

Does that do it for you? There are other similar reports if you don't like the format. Experiment!
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    Open a regular Spending > Income and Expense by Category report. 
    Customize the report (gear wheel in upper right hand corner) and click the "Accounts" tab.  Deselect all Account except for ones that you're interested in, which appears to be bank Accounts and non-retirement Investing Accounts.  Those selected Accounts will be the only Accounts feeding information to the report. 
    Then click on the Advanced tab and make sure the box next to "Include unrealized gains" is unchecked and that Transfers are set to Exclude all. 
    Save the report with some name that's meaning full to you and run the report over a few different time periods to see if you're getting the information you want.  If some Categories are being report that you don't want to see in this report, then customize the report again, click on the Categories tab and deselect any Categories that you don't want included in the report.  Save the report again and run the report over some different time periods.
    If it's giving you what you want then you're done.  You may have to tweak the report again if some odd-ball "one-off" Categories show up from time to time.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    What you need to do is to create a customized spending report.  You customize it to only have the Accounts you want to have "feeding" information to the reports - bank Accounts, and non-retirement investment Accounts, apparently.  Then you further customize it to only include the Categories you want to see in the report which appears to be interest, dividends and realized capital gains.  On the Advanced tab of the customization screen you make sure that unrealized gains and losses are not included.
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Member ✭✭
    What are the steps ? Would I start with a spending report when I am interested in an earnings report that only includes interest, dividends, Long Term gains, and short term gains from non retirement accounts /
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021 Answer ✓
    Go to the Reports menu, click on Spending [these reports also include income]
    Pick Income and Expense by Category
    Set the date range and interval you want. If you don't want multiple columns, pick None for the interval
    Click on the gear at the top right of the report to customize it
    On the Accounts tab, select the accounts you want to include in the report
    On the Categories tab, pick the types of income you want to include. These will start with _underscores like _DivInc for dividend income.

This report will lump together long and short term capital gains in the _RlzdGain category.

If your interests are more tax-focused, you might try the Reports > Tax > Tax Summary report. This will automatically select just your taxable accounts and categories that have a tax line item associated with them. Again, click the gear to customize and clear any income categories you do not want to see on the report, and if you don't want to see tax related expenses, you must clear or ignore all the expense categories. This will also lump together long and short term gains.

To see the gains separated out, you can use the Reports > Tax > Capital Gains report. On this report, I find it useful to exclude money market funds, which have many transactions and no gain or loss.

Does that do it for you? There are other similar reports if you don't like the format. Experiment!
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    Open a regular Spending > Income and Expense by Category report. 
    Customize the report (gear wheel in upper right hand corner) and click the "Accounts" tab.  Deselect all Account except for ones that you're interested in, which appears to be bank Accounts and non-retirement Investing Accounts.  Those selected Accounts will be the only Accounts feeding information to the report. 
    Then click on the Advanced tab and make sure the box next to "Include unrealized gains" is unchecked and that Transfers are set to Exclude all. 
    Save the report with some name that's meaning full to you and run the report over a few different time periods to see if you're getting the information you want.  If some Categories are being report that you don't want to see in this report, then customize the report again, click on the Categories tab and deselect any Categories that you don't want included in the report.  Save the report again and run the report over some different time periods.
    If it's giving you what you want then you're done.  You may have to tweak the report again if some odd-ball "one-off" Categories show up from time to time.
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Member ✭✭
    Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.