In the latest release my investment Allocation Targets have now disappeared

In the latest release my investment Allocation Targets have disappeared. How do I get them back? They've been working fine for over 10 years.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Gary587

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that you have not received a response. 

May I ask that you please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release and tier: Starter, Deluxe, Etc.

I am able to access the Target Allocation by navigating to Investing > Allocations and selecting the gear on the right-hand side.

Are you missing this option or is the information that you are seeing incorrect?

Please let me know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Gary587
    Gary587 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, I can enter brand new target allocations that way. But what I want is my old target allocations that I’ve been using for the past 10 years to be restored. In addition, the options of the sample allocation models that were previously available are no longer there. Now it simply says to contact a financial planner.

So please tell me how I can get my old target allocations back that you deleted in an upgrade. And why did you delete my data in the first place?

Thank you

Gary Wilson
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Gary587

I cannot replicate whatever happened that have caused your Target Allocations to not appear in your current file, but I certainly can understand how this would present a huge issue (as I have used target allocations and the comparison to Actual allocations as a key metric in my investing goals and monitoring activities). 

I don't have an answer to why those disappeared for you, however if I were in your shoes, I would restore a recent backup so that I could move forward.  If, you've recorded significant activity since you noticed this problem, another potential fix would be to save a copy of your current file - then open a backup file that has your old allocation information and take a screen-shot of that data - and then restore the backup so that you can input the old allocation data into the current file.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    reference this discussion:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7883595/what-happened-to-asset-allocation-targets

It appears the user defined targets were blown away with the R30.10 update.  I am thinking someone discovered later they were still there hidden in the file but not readily available.  Foggy on that point. 

I have them back in my file but I think I re-entered the values.    
  • Gary587
    Gary587 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link to the thread where the screw-up by Quicken in November is explained. It would be nice if the official folks at Quicken knew their product when they first answered (evaded?) my question.

I really wish Quicken would stop wasting time on phone apps and get back to making sure that they don't screw up the basic accounting and features we've depended on for years in the Windows version. Dumbing things down so you can have your valuable financial data on a smartphone that you can easily lose isn't needed.

Deleting user data is a big no-no, but hey, I only spent 40 years in I.T.

I found a hardcopy of an allocation report where I had my targets from back then which I've now manually re entered.. Ironically the app still says that Quicken can provide help selecting target allocations even though they removed the Newport service.

For those who need a little more guidance than what Quicken now provides, here's a link with a nice chart of five scenarios based on investment time horizons.

https://www.newretirement.com/retirement/sample-asset-allocations/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly, in another thread on this topic, a user was able to recover their allocation targets by installing an earlier release of Quicken but opening their current file. So the old targets are still in the file, they are just not displayed any more.

This apparently happened when Quicken added the custom asset classes.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Gary587
    Gary587 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Now can someone explain why the sequence of the asset class segments on the colored circles is illogically different for the actual and target percentages?

I realize most folks look more at the tabular data beneath it, so what then is the purpose of the pretty circles when the segments don't correspond to each other?
  • Gary587
    Gary587 Member ✭✭✭
    Figured it out, but it's dumb and should be changed. The segments in the Asset allocation circles start at the 3 o clock position and go counterclockwise in the order of the segments with the largest percentages.

That's dumb. The asset segments should appear on both circles in the same sequence as on the table to allow easier comparison between what you planned and where you currently are at.