Can't Set Tax Related Category for SELF vs. SPOUSE

Options
The choices for Tax Related category settings is MISSING many SELF vs. SPOUSE listings. For instance households with two PENSIONS there is no was to set one category tax relation to SELF and the other to SPOUSE. (ie. "Pension gross income distribution"). consequently when importing Quicken data into TURBOTAX the gross pension income is lumped together. In TurboTax there are two 1099-Rs (one for spouse and one for self). Same for "Federal tax withheld" There is a spouse but NO SELF.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Try using TAGS do differentiate between the 2.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Cwrileyjr
    Cwrileyjr Member ✭✭
    Options
    Importing into TurboTax will still lump both Pension data together. TurboTax will not distinguish TAGS
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We've been asking Quicken to complete the Tax Line Items list for decades. They never did so when they were part of Intuit, so there is no hope they'll do it now.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Cwrileyjr
    Cwrileyjr Member ✭✭
    Options
    Now that Quicken is requiring customers to pay an annual subscription fee, they should finally fix the tax line items!
  • Cwrileyjr
    Cwrileyjr Member ✭✭
    Options
    SURPRISE! Tags ACTUALLY did work to separate the transfer of accounts to TurboTax. I spent 45 minutes chatting with a Quicken Support rep before communication with the COMMUNITY and the rep NEVER mentioned using TAGS. Was told there was no workaround for not having Self/Spouse Tax Lines.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cwrileyjr said:
    SURPRISE! Tags ACTUALLY did work to separate the transfer of accounts to TurboTax. I spent 45 minutes chatting with a Quicken Support rep before communication with the COMMUNITY and the rep NEVER mentioned using TAGS. Was told there was no workaround for not having Self/Spouse Tax Lines.

So how about removing the Unhelpful mark from my earlier reply where I suggested that?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options
    This thread is an example why I don't export/import these kinds of numbers from Quicken to TurboTax.

I ran into such export/import problems way back when I was single and only dealing with interest in a couple of bank accounts at different financial institutions.

The way it was separating them out was by the payee name.  But as it turned out the payee names at both financial institutions were "Interest Paid".  So I couldn't use renaming rules in Quicken because the were global.  And what's more I was to find out that some financial institutions separated the different accounts and some didn't.
    Bottom line is I was going back and forth for a couple of hours for a couple of numbers, which as it turns out aren't "official".  The official numbers are on the 1099s.  If the number(s) in Quicken don't agree with the 1099s you can't use Quicken numbers, you have to get the 1099s changed or just use those numbers.  And then on top of that lately you can get a lot of those numbers directly from the financial institution's 1099 download in TurboTax.

And as @Rocket J Squirrel  pointed out the tax lines haven't been up to date in more years than I can count (if they ever were).

What Quicken is good for is to make sure that the numbers make sense. And for the numbers that aren't anywhere else.  But for the rest you will spend much more time on it trying to export/import.  Case in point, this thread.  I could have put in your numbers from your 1099s manually before I finished the first paragraph in this comment, let alone how long this whole thread has taken.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/