Passwords within the 'vault'

when using one step update to download/trans to my accts....getting errors on American Century.....pswd problems. When trying to change password within my vault....says American Century will not accept the password....even though i'm able to sign on to my American century acct using that password. I've tried changing password within vault to various combinations....each time receiving the msg American century will not accept password. Again....signing onto American Century using any of the passwords work on their site. What gives... Thanks.............dave

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try deleting the password from the vault. Go to the AC register and perform an Update Now. You will be prompted for a password - enter it. If successful, go back and re-add to the Password Vault.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Dave Erickson" ,

Forget the password Vault. Change your Quicken Preferences to match the below:

Next go into the Problem Account Register's Account Overview. Scroll down to the bottom and click Change Online Services. Click Deactivate. Follow the instructions on the screen and then click Set Up Now.
    Now if it doesn't work with your New Password, review this Article:  https://www.quicken.com/support/password-vault-your-bank-could-not-use-password-you-entered

Change your password at American Century, so it does not contain the Special Characters of:

as &, <, >, \, or /)., plus the @ Sign, reserve for Email Addresses.

Make sure the New Password works at American Century.

Now re-add Online Services for American Century Register. It should work, as long as the New Password conforms to Quicken Password Rules.

You haven't added your Quicken Information:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @thecreator why would the setting for how you accept transactions into the register have anything to do with a password problem?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • i'm trying to 'download' transactions(one step update) from my am cent acct. to quicken......using the same pswd in my vault for am cent acct..that i use to sign on to my am cent acct via their website.... to try an get the process to work...i've changed am cent pswd to their site several times...and am able to sign on their......then enter that(those) pswds into my vault for the am. cent acct...... i get msgs from the quicken pswd update that am. cent wont allow that/those pswds..... i've modified the pswds to my am cent sign on to be in the 8-10 char limit and valid characters, etc., etc.... as specified by AM. cent. Still a no go on quicken/vault/pswd for am cent.
  • i'm still stuck on this.............am century REQUIRES a special character........and i'm not sure WHY this cant be added to the am century vault password..gives me invalid pswd/cant add to my vault for am. cent. pswd........others in my vault has special characters....and have no trouble using 'one step update' procedure signing in and downloading those transactions. example would be citi bank......has special characters in pswd....and works fine. what's the chances that there's something in the quicken software for am. cent that causes the failures. Have spent way tooooo much time on this issue to get it resolved...
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    We have 2 Am Century accounts with special character passwords that work fine.  Could there be a problem with the special characters you're using. I know there are certain ones Quicken doesn't allow.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Here is an article on the special characters you can't use:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/password-vault-your-bank-could-not-use-password-you-entered
    Signature:
  • thx to both replies..............only using the '@' special character.......and use in other accts that work fine. when trying to edit/change the password for am. cent in the vault....it will not accept a pswd with the '@' for am cent. as stated above...other members in my vault are using the '@' special character with no problems. msg says quicken will not accept pswd entered for am. cent. .....
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is this account setup with Direct Connect?  (all investment accounts are, but I'm not sure that is what your account is)
    Signature:
  • thecreator
    Chris_QPW said:
    @thecreator why would the setting for how you accept transactions into the register have anything to do with a password problem?
    Hi @Chris_QPW ,

From one rejected answer to another. B)

When you Deactivated and Set Up Now again, you can get Transactions, that are duplicates of existing transactions and keeping them below the register, one can delete them, before entering them in the Register.

Also doing a Set Up Now, automatically saves the password, in the Vault.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just going to throw this in, in case this is for a Direct Connect account.
    The information Quicken uses to decide if a password is valid or not for a Direct Connect account comes from the financial intuition in the for of the OFX data that is transmitted when Quicken contacts the financial institution during One Step Update/setting up an account.

If you select: Help -> Log Files -> OFX log you can save the OFX log.
    Look for this section for your financial institution's response:
                    <SIGNONINFOLIST>
                        <SIGNONINFO>
                            <SIGNONREALM>default
                            <MIN>5
                            <MAX>15
                            <CHARTYPE>NUMERICONLY
                            <CASESEN>Y
                            <SPECIAL>N
                            <SPACES>N
                            <PINCH>Y
                            <CHGPINFIRST>N
                            <CLIENTUIDREQ>Y
                        </SIGNONINFO>
                    </SIGNONINFOLIST>

It states what the restrictions are.  Clearly if it is wrong here then it is the fault of the financial institution.  It might also give you a clue on what will work.
    Signature:
  • reo1954
    reo1954 Member ✭✭
    Im getting the same issue with my Wife's Principal account. It used to work but I changed the password (with the "@" within). Now it says Principal will not accept the password, even though I can go on the Internet and access with no problem. Definitely a Quicken issue. I will try and change the password by removing the "@" and see if that works.
  • reo1954
    reo1954 Member ✭✭
    OK, I removed the "@" from password and now the Quicken vault accepts it and syncs with her Principal account!!
  • thx to ALL for their attempts to help dig me out of this time consuming mess. in response to the reo1954 reply.....i'm wondering if you were successful removing the '@' from the pswd in the vault OR your online signon directly to am cent site and change pswd to your profile/security setting. i was NOT able to have/change the pswd w/o a special character included...and '@' was one of the acceptable ones. And, in response to the Chris-qpw suggestions.... yes, direct connect like all my other accts ........and the logon info lines....waaaaay above my pay grade(and/or knowledge level). I'm 'guessing'....being as my other valut pswds with special characters work effortlessly......this may be a quicken issue with am cent due to not even ACCEPTing a pswd with '@' in it to the vault........all the while....signon to their site outside quicken via their web address works with the pswd containing the special character '@'
  • thecreator
    Hi @""Dave Erickson" ,

You can't change the password in Quicken, without first changing the password at American Century. Use Special Characters, that will work with Quicken.

• re: the creator................ yep....i have changed the pswd in am. cent using the '@' as listed as acceptable in their chg routine.... i then tried to edit/delete the pswd in the quicken vault with that new pswd for the am. cent acct.......and it will NOT accept a pswd for Am. Cent with an '@' in it......never getting to the point i want to try the 'one step' update procedure......... other totally different accts in the vault have pswds containing an '@' and is not an issue.....
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, have you tried any other special characters, American Century is pretty flexible.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• thx again for your suggestion...........the problem i have lies within the vault/pswd for my american cent. acct. whatever i try to update/change for the pswd in quicken vault for am. cent.........if it has a special character.....it denies it 'for am cent'...........same impact when i delete the pswd for am cent. from vault then using a previous suggestion keying it in when asked for providing when doing the 'one step update' procedure and all accts are listed....it will not accept there either when keying it in w/a special character. changing pswd using the amercian cent. site is easy and requires a special character to be used and lists all acceptable ones.
  • Whon
    Whon Member
    USAA account would not update after a password change. This procedure worked. Do not follow the prompts on the quick connect windows about troubleshooting or updating. They do nothing. Had to deactivate and reactivate.
This discussion has been closed.