Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How Are Automated Backups Supposed To Work?

I have my maximum number of automated backups preference set to 5, which I take that to mean that after the 6th backup is made, the oldest will be deleted. I've currently got about 50 of them in the BU folder since Jan 1, so that's not happening. Some were created when Q was updated to a new release (which is appended to the BU file name), so maybe the clock gets reset at that point (?), but I still have more than 5 on several of the releases. The Help file sheds no light - it describes a process that looks to be outdated. Am I not understanding how the process works, or is it just broken?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The built-in documentation on this topic hasn't been updated in decades.

When Quicken upgrades itself, Quicken saves an automatic backup of the current release (-R-XX.XX).  I suspect this resets the number of backups saved counter.

I suggest occasionally checking the automatic backup folder and deleting the backups you no longer wish to save.
  • EddieN1
    EddieN1 Member
    I have Quicken Home, Business, and Rental Property, release R31-20, Build 27.1.31.20. My Automatic Backups (set to Backup after running 1 Time, keep 5 Backups) have been working fine each time I exit Quicken. A couple of days ago, it quit working. I've checked my Backup preferences and it all looks good. Anything I should look for? Any log files that might help?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @EddieN1 ,

Don't rely on Automatic Backups, as while they are backups, if your Hard Drive crashes, you lost everything. Do Manual Backups, off of the Hard Drive for safety sake.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21359.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and always goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25
    EddieN1 said:
    I have Quicken Home, Business, and Rental Property, release R31-20, Build 27.1.31.20. My Automatic Backups (set to Backup after running 1 Time, keep 5 Backups) have been working fine each time I exit Quicken. A couple of days ago, it quit working. I've checked my Backup preferences and it all looks good. Anything I should look for? Any log files that might help?
    The above suggestions are all good however, the first thing I would verify is the location of the QDF file you are currently using.  If you have restored a backup or made other changes to your QDF, the location of your current file may have changed. I say this because there have been several posts where it was the location that changed rather than the actual saving of backup files.
    From within Quicken, using File, Find Quicken Files should provide a list of all the QDF and QDF -backup files on your computer and the date they were last modified.  Sorting on the modified date should give you the most recent backups and their location. 
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @EddieN1 ,

Don't rely on Automatic Backups, as while they are backups, if your Hard Drive crashes, you lost everything. Do Manual Backups, off of the Hard Drive for safety sake.

Just so you know they recently put in the feature that you can change where the automatic backups are stored.  So now you can have the automatic backups go to a different drive.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/