I am having a problem printing out a Category Detail Report or a Transaction Detail Report for 2020.

Options
aisan1love
aisan1love Member
I am running Quicken 2007 on a 2009 Mac Mini. It has worked great over the years with very little trouble. However, this year when I try to print out a Category Detail Report or a Transaction Detail Report, after I click on Create it immediately comes up with an internal error 701. I then click on OK and it keeps repeating this process in an infinite loop until I do a Force Quit on the task. I have upgraded the OS from 10.6.8 to 10.11.6 and Quicken 2007 from 16.0.1 to 16.2.4. I still have the problem. Any ideas on how to fix this. Thanks!

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I'm sorry after your updates that you're having the same problem as before. I'm afraid it sounds like there's some corruption in your database which Quicken 2007 isn't able to recover from.

Out of curiosity, can you produce any such report for a different time period? For instance, can you generate the report you would have done at the end of 2019? Can you do a report for just a month? It it fails for all of 2020, but you can get it to work for smaller chunks of the year, you might be able to zero in on where the problem lies, or get out the data you need in two or three pieces.

In terms of the corruption to the data file, have you tried File > Save a Copy? Save a Copy doesn't just make a binder copy of the file; it re-creates a new data file writing record by record. my guess is that it will crash or be incomplete, but if it works, you might find the reports work in the new file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • aisan1love
    aisan1love Member
    Options
    Thank you for your additional ideas. Again the reports that blow up with an internal error 701 are the category detail and transaction detail reports. It worked fine for the 2019 data for a year end category detail and transaction detail report. I generated those back in early 2020 when I prepared the taxes for 2019. So I went back and tried different chunks of data. The year end 2019 still works. 2020 does not. 2021 YTD does not. I went back and tried 2019 quarterly and the first quarter works. 2nd, 3rd and 4th do not which is interesting because the year end does. I went back for 2019 and did monthly. Only January works. The rest don't. I tried monthly, daily and quarterly for 2020 and 2021 and nothing works. I did a save copy for 1/1/20 thru 2021 YTD and nothing works for that file. I also tried save copy for 2021 YTD and nothing works for that. So it really has me baffled. I have two other files for my personal accounting and a family limited partnership and their data bases are just as large and have no problems generating those reports with those two files.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    [Removed- Information is not applicable] 
    ~~~***~~~
  • aisan1love
    aisan1love Member
    Options
    Quicken will not provide any support for Quicken 2007. I have tried.
  • jacobs
    Options
    @aisan1love  I've never seen or heard of the "Internal Error 701" you're encountering in Quicken 2007. Nor can I find any past reference to it in Google searching. I found it mentioned only once on this forum by a user in 2017; it seemed unknown then, and no solutions were offered.

Unless any of the other old Quicken 2007 experts here chime in with any knowledge about this error, I think you may have to acknowledge your file has some unfixable problem with the database, and look at ways to move forward.

The first thing I'd consider is seeing whether the Quicken 2007 data file can be imported into modern Quicken Mac. The question is whether the import would completely fail, or would step around whatever damage there is in your database and export everything else successfully. My guess is that it may fail, because the first part of the data conversion process actually uses Quicken 2007's innards to export the data in a form that modern Quicken Mac can import it; if it can't access the data for a report without crashing, I'm guessing it the converter application might crash, too. But it's definitely worth a shot. (I should note that you can purchase Quicken Mac and get a full refund from Quicken within 30 days of purchase if you determine it doesn't work for you.)

You said you're running macOS 10.11 (El Capitan). Unfortunately, modern Quicken Mac won't run on that OS; it requires High Sierra or greater. And I believe your 2009 Mac Mini is not able to run High Sierra, right? Do you own or have access to any other Mac with a newer operating system, where you could try modern Quicken Mac to see if it can read your data file? If not, the alternative would be to obtain a copy of an older version of Quicken Mac, such as Quicken 2017; that version can run on El Capitan. Quicken doesn't sell it or provide it, so you'd have to find someone who has a copy or buy a copy on a site like eBay. And even if you do that, know that the odds are your old file may not work.

We haven't talked about backups yet. Do you have backups of this file prior to the time you started having problems? Even if it's some months old, any backup that contains most of your data is better than no working file at all. Warning: for any backups you have, make a copy of a file before you try to open it, so that if it blows up, you still have the unscathed backup file. I'm hoping you have Quicken's automatic backups as well as Time Machine or some other form of backup. Since you can see your recent transactions in the damaged file, in the worse case scenario, you can make screen shots of data as far back as you need and manually re-enter them once you have a working file to work with. Yes, that would be a pain, but an old backups file which works may be your only path forward. Whether you then stick with Quicken 2007 -- there's no way to predict whether you'll have more problems or whether the current problem was a quick of the old database which won't recur -- or move forward to modern Quicken on a new Mac is a bridge to cross when you get there; the main thing now is trying to see if you have any backup which works.
  • aisan1love
    aisan1love Member
    Options
    Jacobs:

I would like to see if my Quicken 2007 will import into modern Quicken Mac. When you say modern Quicken Mac are you talking about Quicken 2020? I do have access to another Mac Mini that is currently running High Sierra, 10.13.6. It is a Mid 2011 Mac Mini and I think that is the highest OS version it can run. Will Quicken 2020 run on it and if it does do I just take a data file from my exisiting mac, load it on a thumb drive and open it with Quicken 2020 and it will import and read it?

Thanks,

Aisan1love
  • jacobs
    Options
    To clarify, when I say "modern Quicken Mac", I mean the current subscription Quicken Mac. (Though some people still refer to Quicken by year, they have dropped the year from the product name because it is continually updated. There is no "Quicken 2020" or "Quicken 2021", just subscription "Quicken". You always start by downloading the latest version, even if you purchase a retail box with a CD.)

The current Quicken will run on High Sierra; it just won't run on anything earlier than High Sierra. It's possible that somewhere in the next year or two, they may increase the system requirement beyond High Sierra -- but they have only done so once over the past 6 years. 

And yes, you'd copy your Quicken 2007 data file from your current Mac to the Mini, install Quicken, launch it, and select to "Start from a Quicken 2007 data file" on the Getting Started page. (For safety, I'd suggest do you do a Finder > Compress on your Quicken 2007 data file before you copy it to a flash drive or otherwise move it to the newer Mac for import into modern Quicken. I'd also recommend rebuilding the database indexes in Quicken 2007 -- Command-Option-B -- before you move it to the new Mac for import; it may not matter, but it may prevent some problems during the import.) After you run the import, you can still open your Quicken 2007 on the other Mac -- or even install it on the Mini if you wish -- as you can run the two programs side by side as you check to make sure all your account balances and security holdings are accurate. There will be a bit of a learning curve for the new Quicken Mac, but you can find a lot of help here on this site and other support sites run by Quicken. 
This discussion has been closed.