Reflect Stock Certificates in Quicken

Options
How do I reflect ALL (Allstate) Certificates that I inherited in Quicken?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you have not already, add the ALL security to your security list in Quicken.

Then go to Tools > Add account and create an offline Brokerage account to hold the shares, following the directions there. 

Please post back if you have further questions.

Note you might consider opening a brokerage account with Vanguard, Fidelity, or another broker. They can hold the shares for you and the dividends will be sent directly to your account, so you don't have to store the certificates or deal with quarterly checks.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm assuming you are referring to shares of Allstate that you hold in certificate form?
    If that's correct then you'd enter them exactly the same way you'd enter shares inherited that are held in "street name", i.e., held by the broker and reported to you electronically.
    There actually are many different ways you might go about doing this.  One way is to make an "Add" entry as of Date of Death (DoD) using the fair market value of the shares as of that date as the value for those shares and indicating a "date acquired" one year before the DoD.  You make the date acquired a year before the DoD as the shares are considered long term holdings in your hand as a matter of tax law.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you have not already, add the ALL security to your security list in Quicken.

Then go to Tools > Add account and create an offline Brokerage account to hold the shares, following the directions there. 

Please post back if you have further questions.

Note you might consider opening a brokerage account with Vanguard, Fidelity, or another broker. They can hold the shares for you and the dividends will be sent directly to your account, so you don't have to store the certificates or deal with quarterly checks.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • 19randyowen59
    19randyowen59 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Got it setup. Thank you Jim.