Can I run Q-Win and Q-Mac in parallel for a month or two?

Options
I've used Q-WIN for decades, the past few years on an iMac running Windows. I'd like to go to Q-MAC to get off the Windows platform. Question: can I run both QWIN and QMAC in parallel for a month or two, to see how they perform? e.g., downloading bank transactions into both WIN and MAC? e.g., downloading securities prices into both? Of course, I would only initiate bank transactions (such as instructing my bank to transfer cash between accounts or paying bills) in QMAC!

All of this would be to get comfortable before leaving what I've used for decades. Many thanks for advice. (And if there's an area of Support that provides help and advice for the transition, please let me know!). Thanks,

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, but the data files between the 2 are NOT interchangeable. 
    Totally different file formats.
    So, you'll need to do double data entry during that time.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• tweaver1
    tweaver1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks. Probably 95% or more of my transactions are downloaded from the bank. So as long as the bank will download to both files, I should be good.

If the bank will only download transactions to one of the two files, then I'd be in serious difficulty! Do you know whether the bank (Chase, in my case) will download to both files?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options
    It will download to both ... and not even know that it's doing so.  It's just 2 downloads as far as Q is concerned.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I know the banks will download to two different copies of the same Quicken Mac file on two computers, so it should be fine also if one of them is QWin. Bill Pay and Transfer instructions put in on the Mac side, you will need to enter as manual transactions on the Win side.

As for transitioning, it does work but there are some know glitches (I haven't done it myself, so I'm not up on the details). There's tons of discussion of that here on the forum. A quick search should find it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • tweaver1
    tweaver1 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks very much - help is much appreciated. I'll go for it and see how it goes. Hopefully the QMAC will be viable for me going forward.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    tweaver1 said:
    If there's an area of Support that provides help and advice for the transition, please let me know!
    @tweaver1  There actually is! Quicken has a relatively new "1-2-3" program which flies a bit under the radar specifically for new users. It's a team of Quicken Customer Service representatives who do scheduled 1-hour phone calls with new users to help them get oriented to Quicken so they can get started without staring at a screen and having to figure out how everything works. I wasn't sure yesterday, but I checked with a Quicken representative, and this service is open to longtime Quicken users who are switching platforms.

When you're ready, visit this page to schedule an appointment.  
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.