year end copy

Jmansdad
Jmansdad Member ✭✭
Are year end copies necessary?

Best Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    IMHO, no.  Just maintain backups, and you will always have access to whatever you need. I have never made one.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    3 GB is big, but are you saving attachments in Quicken?  If so, that is where the large size is coming from.
    You do realize that keeping attachments in Quicken, while it sounds like a good idea, you can only get them out one at a time and only via Quicken.
    You might want to rethink that decision.  Keeping them in a directory structure outside of Quicken might be a better decision.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    IMHO, no.  Just maintain backups, and you will always have access to whatever you need. I have never made one.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Jmansdad
    Jmansdad Member ✭✭
    Thanks Bob- I was concerned because my Q file has grown to almost 3 gigs.

Joe
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    3 GB is big, but are you saving attachments in Quicken?  If so, that is where the large size is coming from.
    You do realize that keeping attachments in Quicken, while it sounds like a good idea, you can only get them out one at a time and only via Quicken.
    You might want to rethink that decision.  Keeping them in a directory structure outside of Quicken might be a better decision.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jmansdad
    Jmansdad Member ✭✭
    Here's the rub Splasher: I have bills and statements attached going back to 2012. Is there no way to exorcise them from Q and send them to the cloud in an organized manner?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Jmansdad said:
    Here's the rub Splasher: I have bills and statements attached going back to 2012. Is there no way to exorcise them from Q and send them to the cloud in an organized manner?
    You can't pick a certain date to get rid of attachments, but if you want to purge them all there is now a way to do that.
    File -> File Operations -> Copy... -> deselect Include attachments
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • GeezerGeek
    GeezerGeek Member ✭✭✭
    Year end copies are not necessary but they can help clean up your account a bit. I don't think it is useful to do one every year but you might want to do it for a range of years. I have been a Quicken user for 30 years and I had created historical entries all the way back to 1977. A few years after I retired in 2013, I didn't think that much of the expense data prior to retirement was of much consequence so I did a year end copy that excluded all data prior to my retirement. After I created the year end copy, I was able to delete a lot of entries in Quicken including several old closed accounts that no longer held transactions, several securities that I no longer owned, and several categories of income/expenses that I no longer used. Since then, I have occasionally opened the old archive to find some information but rarely have I had the need to do so. So the advantage of doing a Year End Copy over multiple years is that you can clean up your Quicken account and eliminate a lot of clutter left over from years past.
    Quicken user since 1991, DOS version
This discussion has been closed.