How do I move Quicken 2014 Premium to a new computer?

d-jamaica
d-jamaica Member
I purchased a download of Quicken 2014 Premium and wish to move the program to a new Dell computer.
I have the original registration code and an outdated original email address and don't recall the original password.
As I live overseas and do not wish to upgrade to a newer version, is there a way to move the original software without the need to purchase a new package?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Install the 2014 download file to your new computer
    2. Download and install the highest available bug fix patch file
      US version:
      http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html
      Canadian version:
      http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-canadian.html
      If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.
    3. Bypass registration (Quicken for Windows 2014 and older)
      If you get stuck on a Registration window, you can try the following to bypass registration:
      Start or restart Quicken.
      Do not start a One Step Update or any other download activity.
      Press and hold and keep holding both the left CTRL and Shift keys while you click Tools and then One Step Update.
      When the message “You will no longer be prompted for registration” appears, click OK.
    4. Using Quicken on your old computer create a backup of your active Quicken data file and store it on a USB stick
    5. Use the Safely remove hardware function of Windows before you unplug the USB device
    6. Insert the USB device into your new computer
    7. Start Quicken and select to restore your file from a backup. Point to the USB device. Make the restored file's destination C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken.
    8. Set up your data file backup options in Quicken: Edit / Preferences / Backup. Activate the Manual Backup and direct it to en external storage device (e.g. the USB stick you just used). Also activate the Automatic Backup. Set both options to run "every [1] time you close Quicken".

• d-jamaica
    d-jamaica Member
    UKR - many thanks for the input.
    Unfortunately, step 1 is the problem as I'm unable to access the download from Quicken
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I understand you correctly? You originally purchased Q 2014 from quicken.com?
    And you did not save the downloaded installation file on your old computer's Download folder or an external storage device?
    And you since changed email addresses?
    Try calling Quicken Support on the phone. See if they can help you shifting your account to the new email address and if you still have a Q 2014 download on your account.
    If not, you'll have to see if you can find a Q 2014 CD to purchase from an Internet retailer. Or purchase and upgrade to Quicken Subscription (aka Q 2021) Deluxe.

Quicken Support:

• Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• tsni1998
    tsni1998 Member
    If i migrate from stand alone Home & Business Quicken 2014 version to subscription version, do i have to renew my subscription every year thereafter in order to continue using the program?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use the program manually after it expires but a lot of the screen will be taken up with a banner on top and side to renew.  (The Starter Edition goes into read only mode).

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• mdchachi
    mdchachi Member

I had the exact same problem. I just upgraded my PC from an almost 10 year old Win8 to a new Win11 machine and ran into the same realization others have which is Quicken is a subscription model only now. I end up finding and downloading the original software (cd image) from a sketchy website called getintopc. It wasn't Quicken Deluxe, Home and Business was all they had. The browser warned me not to proceed but I nervously did anyway. I ran Malwarebytes scanning on it which came out negative. I installed the software and it seemed to work fine. I scanned the install directories and again seemed fine. Then I downloaded the latest patch from the site mentioned above and that installed fine. And then I was able to open and use my Quicken files that include data from over 25 years ago! Now it looks and feels exactly as it has for the past 8 years. Very happy and I just wanted to post the above in case somebody else comes along in the same boat.

This discussion has been closed.