Report Shows a Sub-Category That Doesn't Exist

jlmsgm1988
jlmsgm1988 Member
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
When running a Spending report, Entertainment expenses show up in "Other Entertainment" as a sub-category of Entertainment. However, there is no such sub-category. It doesn't show up in the list of categories and all transactions are categorized as "Entertainment". The only place I can find this sub-category is in the Planning module, but there is no budget for it and no transactions are categorized to it. In looking at earlier conversations with this issue, it was mentioned that the problem could be that the transactions might be tagged. However, I checked and none of the transactions have a tag. Does anyone know how to rectify this situation? Thanks.

Best Answer

• jlmsgm1988
    jlmsgm1988 Member
    Answer ✓
    Thank you. I had originally intended to use the general Entertainment category for all expenses but ended up setting up some new sub-categories and reclassifying all transactions as you suggested. I appreciate your help.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    This means that you have at least one transaction categorized as the top-level category Entertainment rather than one of its subcategories. Quicken shows this synthetic "Other" pseudo-subcategory as a catch-all for transactions categorized at the main category level when subcategories exist.
    To make this go away, find all transactions whose category is exactly "Entertainment" and change them to the subcategory of your choice.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Other Entertainment is a pseudo subcategory of the Entertainment category that captures the Entertainment transactions without a subcategory.  To exclude Other Entertainment transactions from the report, uncheck the Entertainment category on the Categories tab of the Customize window: press Alt + C
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I think the easiest way to find the transaction(s) that has been categorized as "Entertainment" is to pull up the Itemized Categories report.  That report should make identification a breeze.  When you identify the transaction(s) you can double click on it and you will be taken to the register where the transaction is entered and can then change it from "Entertainment" to the appropriate sub-category.
    FYI:  There is another way to get rid of "Other Entertainment" if you do not want to use sub-categories for your entertainment expenses.  You could delete all of the sub-categories under "Entertainment" and then just use "Entertainment" for all of your entertainment expenses.  It is not what I would do because using just that higher level category can make budgeting much more difficult.  But it is an option, nonetheless, as all transactions will then be reported under "Entertainment" instead of "Other Entertainment".

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• jlmsgm1988
    jlmsgm1988 Member
    Answer ✓
    Thank you. I had originally intended to use the general Entertainment category for all expenses but ended up setting up some new sub-categories and reclassifying all transactions as you suggested. I appreciate your help.
  • jlmsgm1988
    jlmsgm1988 Member
    Thanks to all for your assistance. I was not aware of pseudo sub-categories but now I understand.
This discussion has been closed.