Assigning the correct category to downloads for different accounts from the same bank

Options
pete163
pete163 Member ✭✭
My wife and I have six different accounts with Ally bank. She has a checking, savings and CD account. I have a checking and savings account. We also have a joint savings account. She has one credential which accesses her three accounts at the same time and I have a different credential which accesses my two accounts plus the joint account. When I download transactions they are assigned to the correct accounts with the correct amounts but here's the problem. Quicken is not assigning the correct category. For example, the interest to my wife's savings account is categorized as Interest Income: Ally Savings - Pete. I suspect this has something to do with the way I have categorized these transactions? The six categories are similarly constructed. Interest Income: Ally Checking - Pete, Interest Income: Ally Checking - Chris, Interest Income: Ally Savings - Pete, so forth and so on for the other three accounts. Comments appreciated.

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken can only GUESS at the appropriate category.
    When I make a purchase from Kroger, Q has no way of knowing if I purchased:
    • Groceries
    • Books/Magazines
    • Medicines from the Pharmacy
    • OTC Medicines
    • Gasoline
    • Lottery tickets
    • Gift Cards.
    It can only guess.  SO, your best option is to manually input your purchases, and other transactions, and Q will match with these when it downloads from your banks.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken can only GUESS at the appropriate category.
    When I make a purchase from Kroger, Q has no way of knowing if I purchased:
    • Groceries
    • Books/Magazines
    • Medicines from the Pharmacy
    • OTC Medicines
    • Gasoline
    • Lottery tickets
    • Gift Cards.
    It can only guess.  SO, your best option is to manually input your purchases, and other transactions, and Q will match with these when it downloads from your banks.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Quicken renaming rules are not designed to distinguish between accounts.  The renaming rules only use the downloaded payee and memo fields.  

I suggest not overloading the category field with the account names.  In your example, Interest Income should be sufficient.