Why are credit card charges decreasing balance and payments increasing it?

Once again having issues with downloading from Citi. Did a "reset" on three different credit card accounts. Seemed to work and downloaded transactions (including old ones that had previously been downloaded...but that's not unusual). However, for two of the accounts, suddenly the debits and credits were reversed and payments increase the balance, while charges are decreasing it. This goes back many months, it is not just the most recently downloaded transactions. I cannot figure out how to resolve. Reverted to last backup...so I lost the downloaded transactions, and now the account once again does not update. I am hesitant to do another reset.

I have seen sporadic reports of this when searching for a solution, but other than some less-than-helpful "advice" and on suggestion to manually modify the QFX file, I cannot find a solution. Certainly this should never happen in a program designed to manage finances!

PS - also ran into the same issue with Synchrony Bank/Amazon, so it is not isolated to Citi.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    For those two problem accounts, what COLOR is the balance column at the point of the most recent transaction.  Click on the DATE column header to sort the account in Date order.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    When a credit card balance changes from negative to positive (the bank owes you money) it behaves like you describe.
    You can see this if the balance now black instead of red.

Most likely what happened is that because you the reset you got an payment transaction that turned the amount positive.
    I suggest that before you do a reset you put a comment in the memo on the last transaction so that you can find it.  And then sort the register by "Order Entered".  That will put all the new transactions at the end of the register so that it is easier to clean them up.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • FlyGuyTx
    FlyGuyTx Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had reverted to my last backup, losing the downloaded transactions, but the accounts were displaying correctly. Now none of the problem accounts will do a reset, all give an error. For now, I have manually downloaded transactions using QFX and imported them, since nothing from Citi or Amazon/Synchrony Bank had downloaded since 01APR2021.

Next time I am successful in getting a reset to work, I will try your suggestions. Thanks again.