Can you use Quicken after your subscription expires

I just want to verify that once your subscription expires and you do not renew, you can no longer access your data as usual? My data never synched properly so I did not renew, and I cannot access my data. I called support and was told unless I renew I would not be able to access my data. I am just looking to confirm so that I can make sure that I never buy another quicken product.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to verify that once your subscription expires and you do not renew, you can no longer access your data as usual? My data never synched properly so I did not renew, and I cannot access my data. I called support and was told unless I renew I would not be able to access my data. I am just looking to confirm so that I can make sure that I never buy another quicken product.
    Yes and no.  Once your subscription expires you will still be able to access the information in your data file but you will still need to sign in to Quicken with your Quicken ID and PW in order to do so.  That sign in process validates that your Quicken software is licensed so you can continue to use the program.
    If you have Starter, then that data will be read-only.  If you have any of the other editions you will have read/write ability but everything will be manual.  No matter what you will no longer be able to use any Online Services (i.e., OSU, Web Connect transaction downloads, Mobile, Quicken on the Web, download securities quotes, update home values via Zillow, update your credit score, use Portfolio X-ray, get program updates, etc.).  You will also lose about 25% of your screen to a reminder to re-subscribe (this reminder cannot be turned off).
    There are many people who are happy using Quicken manually like this instead of renewing their subscriptions.  But if you want to be able to continue using any of the online services (and get back your full view Quicken screen) you will need to renew your subscription.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like Quicken support is giving out incorrect information. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• I have the Quicken Manager your home and business. After it expired, when I launched the application I got the message to renew and then their is a link to how to use the software after your subscription expires. The link has you install Quicken and also to download the last patch before your license expired. After I run the install I can launch the application again and access my data, but only once. The next time that I launch it the message pops again but then closes the application. The patch will not run on my version of Windows 10, which is the home edition. The online sycnhronization of data never completed for me so I never used that anyway. I just want to be able to manually maintain my data. Any ideas how to get stop the application from closing and holding my data hostage?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All,

For those who don't wish to renew their Quicken Membership, I would advise them to uninstall Quicken Subscription product and clean the computer. Restart the computer and install either Quicken 2016 or Quicken 2017 software, which can read the Data File produced by Quicken Subscription program.

With the Quicken Subscription program, you have advertisements to put up with, which because Quicken 2016 or 2017 can read the data files of Quicken Subscription, Quicken is not making any changes to remove those advertisements.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have the Quicken Manager your home and business. After it expired, when I launched the application I got the message to renew and then their is a link to how to use the software after your subscription expires. The link has you install Quicken and also to download the last patch before your license expired. After I run the install I can launch the application again and access my data, but only once. The next time that I launch it the message pops again but then closes the application. The patch will not run on my version of Windows 10, which is the home edition. The online sycnhronization of data never completed for me so I never used that anyway. I just want to be able to manually maintain my data. Any ideas how to get stop the application from closing and holding my data hostage?
    A screenshot of the dialog it puts up would help a great deal.  Just drag and drop the image on to the comment box to attach it.

I have a feeling I know what is going on, but would like to see the dialog to confirm.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • This is the message
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK, it is exactly what I thought it is, and this has come up before.
    Quicken Inc has a broken system.

Here is the other thread on this:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7887378/how-to-reinstall-quicken-after-expiration

Bottom line is that there are three fundamental problems with the system they have created.
    1. For it to work the user has to have an install for Quicken that is before their "cutoff" date, but only provides the install for the most recent, which may be after their "cutoff" date.  If the user hasn't saved an old install then they are out of luck.
    2. If the person's subscription lapses on say the 15th and there is a patch on the 10th, they aren't allowed to install the patch on the 10th.  They check for when a patch is "part their expiring date" seems to be at the start of the month, not the day that the subscription actually lapsed.
    3. Quicken continues to download patches even though their subscription lapsed, and therefore is the user doesn't block installing of a patch they can be right back into the same situtation.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. BTW there seems to be an assumption in that article that it is always fine to "reverse patch".  As in use a older patch to bring the state of the install back to what it was back then.  This is an incorrect belief.

Forward patching works because it "knows what came before", and can add/remove/change what is needed to bring it to that state.  But an older patch has no way to know how a future patch will change things, and as such might not restore the area to the same state it would have been if you installed starting with an older install and worked forward.
    Signature:
  • How can I get an older version?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    How can I get an older version?
    Are you talking about Quicken 2016/2017?
    Those would have to be bought from some place like EBay.

If you are talking about an install for Quicken Subscription, well there is the rub.
    If you ask Quicken support the answer is probably going to be "sorry your subscription is lapsed so no support".
    But even if they subscription hasn't lapsed they aren't going to give you a way to download an older install.
    Whereas I have such an install, I can't give it to anyone because Quicken Inc didn't authorized it.

If you look at how the person in the other thread worked around the problem they had Quicken installed on another machine, and copied all the program files over from there.
    Signature:
  • I had my original install disk. The problem was that the install was updating to the latest version. I had to disconnect from the internet during install and then immediately apply the last patch that I was eligible to have. That seems to have worked.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good, I'm glad you hung on to that old install disk.  I'm sure there are going to be others that aren't so lucky (or plan ahead by saving whatever Quicken Install there is before their subscription lapses.)
    Signature:
  • Randall LeBlanc
    Randall LeBlanc Member ✭✭✭
    I officially hate Quicken. No longer simply a love/hate relationship. Only hate. Nothing but problems downloading transactions.
This discussion has been closed.