How do I fix prior balance on reconcile?

Options
How do I fix prior balance on reconcile?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the reconciled opening balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Prior Balance used in a Reconcile is a calculated, not stored, amount.  It's the sum of all transactions in the account that have an "R" in the CLR field of the account.
    If the Prior Balance of the reconcile doesn't agree with the ending balance of the previous reconciliation, one, or more, of the following has happened:
    • You manually deleted an "R" transaction
    • You manually inserted a transaction with an "R"
    • You manually changed a transaction to "R" or from "R" to something else
    • You manually changed the amount of an "R" transaction
    • You deleted, or changed, the other side of a transfer transaction ... and the transaction in THIS account was an "R"
    To remedy this, pull out your prior statements and work backwards until the ending balance of a statement agrees, as to date and amount, with the date and amount in your Q account.  Then UNreconcile everything after that point and REreconcile, month-by-month, until you find the error(s).

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP