Quicken Mac crashed, data file missing

Phillyfun55
Phillyfun55 Member
Version 6.1.1 (Build 601.37924.100)
macOS 11.3.1

This is a weird one, never had this issue before and I've been using Quicken since the late 80's

Quicken Mac froze (spinning beach ball), had to forced quit. Restarted Quicken and it launched on the "Let's Get Started" page. Quit that screen and clicked on open recent and my file is not listed. I then went to open and the file was missing.

Has this happen to anyone else? I since restored my backup from Friday morning, so I had to recreate a few change since the backup but it wasn't a big deal.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited May 2021
    Hello @Phillyfun55,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, and I'm sorry to hear that you experienced this, though I am glad to hear you were able to restore from a previous backup.

It's hard to say what initially caused this issue as there can be a number of different factors that could have contributed to this. Though we hope you will never have to experience this again, just in case you do, for future reference, I do recommend setting up and checking your Mac Time Machine backup to recover your master data file(s) as well as backup files, if needed.

By default, Quicken master data files and backup files get saved in the Hidden Library. You can access that through the following navigation described below.
    1. Open Finder 
    2. Hold Option on your keyboard 
    3. Click on the Go menu at the top of your screen
    4. Select Library in the dropdown while holding still holding Option on your keyboard (you can let go of Option once the Hidden Library opens)
    5. Open the folder called Application Support
    6. Open the folder called Quicken
    In this Quicken folder, you should have 4 different folders; BackupsDocumentsDownloads, and Logs (or it may also be called Log Files). You can then either enter the Time Machine once you open the Quicken folder or you can go directly into the Backups or Documents folders and then enter the Time Machine. The Backups folder (of course) is where all backup and automatic backup files get saved and the Documents folder is where the master data file(s) get saved.

For more information about Time Machine backup, please refer to this support article provided by Apple Support.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Phillyfun55
    Phillyfun55 Member
    Thanks for the information. I really just posted this to see if anyone had a similar issue.

I used a different directory for my file and I no longer use Time Machine, will probably revisit that decision because that would've made it easier to get the most recent version before the crash. I did go back using the default location of the master file when I restore my back up file.

For any lurkers, please make sure you use the auto back up on close setting, that saved me!
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    @Phillyfun55 You're welcome! And no problem, your post will remain open for further discussion.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.