Why am I getting numbers as categories?

Options
Hi folks,
On my Quicken for Mac (deluxe - 6.2.1), when I use the drop down menu for categories, an ever increasing list of numbers show up such as
-2.99; -4.99; -7.82 etc.... in descending order. So weird!
Does anyone know what might be causing numbers to appear on my list of categories?
Thanks in advance!
Sylvie
Tagged:

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Hmm, this sounds like a bug which came up for a small number of people in the past, but I was told the underlying bug was found and fixed in the 6.2 release. So I'm not sure if the problem in your data file pre-dated 6.2, or they haven't fixed the problem they thought they fixed.

There are several threads about this issue her over the past two years; here's one you can read to see if it sounds like the same problem you're seeing. Unfortunately, I don't know if there was a cure other than manually changing each category name back to its proper name or reverting to a backup file. (The latter won't help you if you've been seeing this for very long.)

I'm going to flag your post for one of the Quicken moderators to hopefully follow up with you after the weekend. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Sylvie
    Sylvie Member
    Options
    Hi Jacobs,
    I wasn't able to read your link (it says I don't have "authorization"), but in any case, your reply helped me investigate further and next to each "number category" I saw the word "unused", so I went ahead and deleted all these numbers, trusting there won't be a negative impact.
    Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and knowledge about the issue.
    Have a great weekend,
    Sylvie
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Sylvie

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the community.  I'm glad to hear that you found a solution that worked for you to remove the categories from the list, but I'm curious about where these categories may have come from originally.

Do you happen to sync your data with the Quicken Cloud to view on our Mobile/Web companion apps?

If not, do you download your transactions into Quicken?  Or manually enter them? 

Do you happen to know approximately when you noticed these numbers appearing in the category list?  Has this been happening for a while or just recently?

Thank you in advance for any additional insight you are able to provide.

Sarah
  • Sylvie
    Sylvie Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for your message.
    Answering your questions, I only started noticing it in the last few months (I only update quicken once a month) and I download my transactions by selecting the “accounts” tab and then “update online accounts”.
    I hope this helps.
    Best,
    Sylvie
This discussion has been closed.