Why is Tax Planner for 2021 using 2020 data?

My husband and I retired last year, so we have no paychecks set up. When I try to run Tax Planner for 2021, I'm having to enter everything manually. Using existing 2021 data isn't an option for the tax lines that used to be populated with W2 categories. And there are several categories, like Other Withholding which isn't updating with data in the categories is says are tied to that line. 

Anyone else having issues with the Tax Planner not bringing in the right data?
Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    You will not be able to choose Quicken Data (from 2021) data until you have either entered a transaction or scheduled a reminder for 2021 with an appropriate tax form line item association.   
  • D_McGhee
    D_McGhee Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    You will not be able to choose Quicken Data (from 2021) data until you have either entered a transaction or scheduled a reminder for 2021 with an appropriate tax form line item association.   
    I have transactions in quite a few categories, including withholding and IRA distributions. I've confirmed that the transactions are entered with the right categories and the categories are correctly aligned to tax lines, but they aren't showing up! They all show up correctly in the tax reports for 2021.

It doesn't make sense that if there are categories used last year but not this year that the planner would continue to bring that data in. I can see it having the prior year as an option, but I should be able to tell Quicken to use current year data rather than having to manually zero it out.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What year is selected?

If you select 2020 it will select to get Quicken data from 2020.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • D_McGhee
    D_McGhee Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    What year is selected?

Thanks - but I've been using Quicken for about 30 years and know how to choose the current year. Even though I've selected 2021 as the Year for the planner, I'm still only seeing Quicken Data (from 2020) for many categories - some with 2021 data already entered, and some without - like paycheck/W-2 fields since I no longer have a paycheck set up.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    D_McGhee said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    What year is selected?

Thanks - but I've been using Quicken for about 30 years and know how to choose the current year. Even though I've selected 2021 as the Year for the planner, I'm still only seeing Quicken Data (from 2020) for many categories - some with 2021 data already entered, and some without - like paycheck/W-2 fields since I no longer have a paycheck set up.

I suspect you do not have any of the W2 tax-line entries in transactions or scheduled transaction in 2021.

If you're seeing the same when there are tax-line entries in transactions or scheduled transaction in 2021 associated with tax planner entry, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:

I suspect you do not have any of the W2 tax-line entries in transactions or scheduled transaction in 2021.

If you're seeing the same when there are tax-line entries in transactions or scheduled transaction in 2021 associated with tax planner entry, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

From what I can see it doesn't matter if you have transactions or not in a given field, the year even though disabled is still the one selected by the main year for me.

Hopefully a full reinstall will fix it.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Chris_QPW said:
    Sherlock said:

From what I can see it doesn't matter if you have transactions or not in a given field, the year even though disabled is still the one selected by the main year for me.

Hopefully a full reinstall will fix it.
    I suspect you do not have any of the expected W2 tax-line entries in transactions or scheduled transaction in 2020 and 2021.  If you had entries in 2020 (like the original poster), Quicken should offer to project the value based on the 2020 entries.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    I suspect you do not have any of the expected W2 tax-line entries in transactions or scheduled transaction in 2020 and 2021.  If you had entries in 2020 (like the original poster), Quicken should offer to project the value based on the 2020 entries.

I don't have any paycheck so not having future scheduled transactions is expected, but what I was pointing out is that even though I don't have any transactions the selection still says "Quicken Data (from 2021)" not "Quicken Data (from 2020)".  So the very fact that his says "Quicken Data (from 2020)" sort of implies that it is stuck on 2020 for some reason.  And hopefully a reinstall will fix it.  Of course the other possibility is there is something in the data file causing it.  So I would also suggest doing a Validate and Repair.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Chris_QPW said:
    Sherlock said:

I don't have any paycheck so not having future scheduled transactions is expected, but what I was pointing out is that even though I don't have any transactions the selection still says "Quicken Data (from 2021)" not "Quicken Data (from 2020)".  So the very fact that his says "Quicken Data (from 2020)" sort of implies that it is stuck on 2020 for some reason.  And hopefully a reinstall will fix it.  Of course the other possibility is there is something in the data file causing it.  So I would also suggest doing a Validate and Repair.
    Again, you should see the gray Quicken Data (from 2021) for the Wages and Salary - Self (Other) because you do not have any of the expected tax-line entries associated with transactions or scheduled transaction in 2020 and 2021 in the appropriate registers.

If you had 
    any of the expected tax-line entries associated with transactions or scheduled transaction in 2021, the Quicken Data (from 2021) should not be gray and should be selectable.

If you did not have any of the expected tax-line entries associated with transactions or scheduled transaction in 2021 and did have an expected tax-line entries associated with transactions or scheduled transaction in 2020, you should have a selectable non-gray Quicken Data (from 2020).

The original poster has stated they have no paycheck in 2021 which means they should see a selectable non-gray Quicken Data (from 2020) for the Wages and Salary - Self and that is exactly what appears in the image they provided.

D_McGhee said:

The original poster has also stated there are 2021 transactions with the appropriate tax-line items that appear in the 2021 Tax Reports but they are not available to the 2021 Tax Planner.

D_McGhee said:
    Sherlock said:
    I have transactions in quite a few categories, including withholding and IRA distributions. I've confirmed that the transactions are entered with the right categories and the categories are correctly aligned to tax lines, but they aren't showing up! They all show up correctly in the tax reports for 2021.

It doesn't make sense that if there are categories used last year but not this year that the planner would continue to bring that data in. I can see it having the prior year as an option, but I should be able to tell Quicken to use current year data rather than having to manually zero it out.
    So, its likely either user error, a Quicken program/environment issue, or a Quicken file corruption.  The manual clean uninstall process should resolve the issue if its in their Quicken program/environment.  The Copy and Validate instructions at https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows might resolve the issue if its a Quicken file corruption.  I still suspect the former but I've been wrong before.

It does make sense that the Tax Planner allows us to use the previous year's entries when it see's none yet for the current year.  
This discussion has been closed.