When will Mac Version contain a retirement planner

Want retirement planner

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    There is a longstanding Idea thread where customers can express their interest and, most importantly, add a vote for this feature. Please take a moment to click to visit the thread; and in the yellow box, click the arrow under the vote counter to register your vote.

The topic is currently marked "Under Consideration," which means it has generated enough customer interest that is has been submitted to the product development team, but they have not yet committed whether/when to add this feature to the development roadmap. There are hundreds of feature requests customers have requested of the developers, and what is one person's Number One feature request is way down on some other customer's wishlist, and visa versa. The developers try to assess which projects will have the biggest or broadest impact on customers, while also weighing the complexity and time involved in each project.

That all said, Quicken never comments on when specific new features will be forthcoming, so no one can answer your question of when Quicken Mac will have this feature. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    No one can answer that question.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    There is a longstanding Idea thread where customers can express their interest and, most importantly, add a vote for this feature. Please take a moment to click to visit the thread; and in the yellow box, click the arrow under the vote counter to register your vote.

The topic is currently marked "Under Consideration," which means it has generated enough customer interest that is has been submitted to the product development team, but they have not yet committed whether/when to add this feature to the development roadmap. There are hundreds of feature requests customers have requested of the developers, and what is one person's Number One feature request is way down on some other customer's wishlist, and visa versa. The developers try to assess which projects will have the biggest or broadest impact on customers, while also weighing the complexity and time involved in each project.

That all said, Quicken never comments on when specific new features will be forthcoming, so no one can answer your question of when Quicken Mac will have this feature. 
  • JohnKen
    JohnKen Member
    Thank you Jacobs and Chris for responding to my question, but is my perception that Quicken does not attach urgency to developing a life time planning feature an accurate perception? Considering we are are the threshold of a major economic change that elevates the importance of this feature to a level well beyond essential to critical, I consider Quicken's lack of support unacceptable. I have been using Quicken for more than 30 years, but without a positive acknowledgement and commitment to bring this feature over to Mac, I must consider other avenues including but not limited to the funding of the development of a competitive software that supports this important need.
  • jacobs
    JohnKen said:
    is my perception that Quicken does not attach urgency to developing a life time planning feature an accurate perception?
    I would say no, that's not an accurate perception.

What's accurate is that there are multiple hundreds of feature requests users have submitted to the developers -- more than 600 on this forum alone -- in addition to their internal wishlist of feature enhancements to better match the feature set of Quicken Mac with Quicken Windows. A retirement planner in Quicken Mac is undoubtedly on both those lists. And the lack of this functionality currently  doesn't mean they don't see the urgent need for certain features. 

For better or worse, and for a variety of reasons, Quicken almost never indicates what future features are coming, nor where they sit on their priority list, so we as users can't know whether a particular desired feature is likely to emerge soon or not for a year or more. 

I'd say that almost every Quicken user has one or a couple feature quests that they consider the absolute top needs for Quicken. I'd also say with certainty that among us Quicken Mac users, there are dozens, if not more than 100, which someone would name as the top need. ;)  You have identified this particular feature as "critical" for your needs, but I could list a dozen or more equally passionate and well-reasoned requests for other features people consider critical.

The voting on this forum, as well as the monthly surveys they've been doing, only attracts only a small subset of Quicken users, but can help to identify which issues resonate with the largest number of users. the Lifetime/Retirement Planner thread has garnered 140 votes, which I'd estimate puts it in the top 5% of feature requests.

If you determine Quicken doesn't meet your needs, and some other software does, then it makes sense to move on. Or perhaps you can find some other product, or a website, or even a spreadsheet which allows you to do the financial planning you want in concert with maintaining you data in Quicken. There is no certainty when additional planning functionality will be added to Quicken Mac. I would guess that we'll see something along these lines added to the program, but I have no way to guess whether it will be later this year, next year, or longer. 

This discussion has been closed.