Cash balance not working when sell stock

When I sell stock in one of my annuities, the proceeds are not showing up in the cash balance column

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you seeing, by any chance, that a blue "N/A" is being shown instead?  If so, that can be the result of having placeholders in the Account.  Do Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions > Show hidden transactions to see if that's what's going on.
  • dortmeyer
    dortmeyer Member ✭✭
    No there is no N/A in the Cash Balance column. What I had to do for each sell transaction was to edit it and check the "To the account's cash balance" under "Record Proceeds?". Then it showed the cash balance. But surely there must be a way of universally selecting this so that I don't have to do it for each separate "sell" transaction.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might have set up the Account with "Show cash in a checking account" selected.  Edit the Account and look at the General tab to see if that's the problem.
  • dortmeyer
    dortmeyer Member ✭✭
    Tom, the account is a retirement account, not an investment account. I guess there is a difference. The option "Show cash in a checking account" is not an available option when I look at the General tab of my retirement account.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Is the annuity set up as a Single Mutual Fund (SMF) account? That would force you to send the proceeds to another account, because SMF accounts cannot hold cash.

The SMF option is on the General tab of the Account Details.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, you say you have to edit the transactions to correct them. How do they get into the transaction list in the first place? Entered manually using the Enter Transactions button? Manually entered directly in the transaction list? Downloaded? From a Reminder or memorized transaction?

Getting the original transaction correct may be the issue here.
    QWin Premier subscription