Yet Another Truist Merger Question - How to do it ASSUMING Truist gets Quicken service

Windows 10; Quicken Premier

I've always used the one-step update.  Today that did not work.  When I go to log onto Suntrust, it takes me to the Truist site and I log in there.  From within the Truist site, I download transactions and specify filtetype of .qfx, intending to open that with Quicken and associate that to my erstwhile Suntrust.

Truist pooped out a PDF instead of a .qfx, lol.  Well . . .  I'll wait a few days.

So, let's assume Truist signs up with Quicken.

Ok so now, how do I change my pre-existing Suntrust account to go to Truist?  I've tried deactivating then re-activating the download service, but Quicken still seems to remember Suntrust and tries to use my credentials there.  How do I make it switch to Truist?

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken has an internal list of ALL supported companies - for creating your Add Account -
    Until Truist pays Quicken and contracts for downloading support services - there is nothing you can do...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    Once Truist DOES get added . . . assuming they do . . . then how do I change an account from connecting to Bank A to connecting to Bank B. 
  • LeannePate
    LeannePate Member ✭✭
    Can someone who works for Quicken and who knows please post a definitive answer? This problem obviously affects anyone who banks with SunTrust. Trying to de-activate then re-activate the account puts me in a loop. I imagine that thousands of Quicken users have the same problem.
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    Can someone who works for Quicken and who knows please post a definitive answer? This problem obviously affects anyone who banks with SunTrust. Trying to de-activate then re-activate the account puts me in a loop. I imagine that thousands of Quicken users have the same problem.

Exactly.  I only see an option to deactivate and then activate the accounts previously associated with Suntrust, but when I do "reactivate", Quicken keeps these accounts associated to Suntrust.

• SirTyne
    SirTyne Member
    Agree !!
  • searsbe4
    searsbe4 Member
    Having the same issue. Suntrust customer, now a Truist customer. Can no longer download transactions or update to quicken. Please advise!!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    James J said:
    Once Truist DOES get added . . . assuming they do . . . then how do I change an account from connecting to Bank A to connecting to Bank B. 
    When switching an account to another financial institution the process is to deactivate the account and clear out the financial institution on the General tab of the Account Details before trying to reactivate this.  Or you can deactivate the account and then use the + icon in the account bar to start the Add Account.  With both the point is to get Quicken to prompt for the financial institution again.

But note, this isn't going to lead you to success because as of now Truist isn't a supported financial institution.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Until Truist allows Quicken access, there is nothing you can do.
  • I just talked to the Digital Support Team at Truist. They are aware of the Quicken issue. They said that it may take until February to completely fix all the problems as the merger just started a month ago and the transitions really just started. They have made the programers aware of the problem with the move from Suntrust to Truist messing with the ability for Quicken to download transactions, but we need to be patient while they work through this process. They don't know when they will be able to add Truist to the list of banks in Quicken at this time.
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    James J said:
    When switching an account to another financial institution the process is to deactivate the account and clear out the financial institution on the General tab of the Account Details before trying to reactivate this.  Or you can deactivate the account and then use the + icon in the account bar to start the Add Account.  With both the point is to get Quicken to prompt for the financial institution again.

But note, this isn't going to lead you to success because as of now Truist isn't a supported financial institution.
    Oh, ok, I'll give that a try just to see that it does prompt me for a new institution.  I hadn't realized I could use the + button to add a new account and link Truist (if it worked) to the account that had until recently been SunTrust. I thought maybe that process would choke because the transactions I have would not be in the Truist download.
    I just talked to the Digital Support Team at Truist. They are aware of the Quicken issue. They said that it may take until February to completely fix all the problems as the merger just started a month ago and the transitions really just started. They have made the programers aware of the problem with the move from Suntrust to Truist messing with the ability for Quicken to download transactions, but we need to be patient while they work through this process. They don't know when they will be able to add Truist to the list of banks in Quicken at this time.
    February!?!  Ha.  Yeah, I'll switch banks before then.  I am fortunate that we have only a few small accounts at SunTrust.  I would switch to Wells Fargo, we have those in our area.

• James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    James J said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    James J said:

Oh, ok, I'll give that a try just to see that it does prompt me for a new institution.  I hadn't realized I could use the + button to add a new account and link Truist (if it worked) to the account that had until recently been SunTrust. I thought maybe that process would choke because the transactions I have would not be in the Truist download.

Well I'll be!  Clearing out the fields on the "General" tab before turning on the online updates did indeed make Quicken prompt me for the financial institution, thanks!
  • josi_ok
    josi_ok Member ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    As James J said in his original post, Truist does provide an option to download transactions in QFX format on their web site. Unfortunately, the file created has a .PDF file extension though it is actually a QFX file. If you rename the file extension from .PDF to .QFX, you can import the transactions into Quicken.
  • geoffd
    geoffd Member ✭✭
    Ugh. So I was hopeful that josi_ok had the answer, but when I selected import for my .QFX (which did download with the .QFX extension) in Quicken Mac 2017 I got an error:

DOWNLOAD UNAVAILABLE
    Quicken is unable to update this account because Web Connect support for your financial institution has been either temporarily, or permanently discontinued [CC-885].
  • > @geoffd said:
    > Ugh. So I was hopeful that josi_ok had the answer, but when I selected import for my .QFX (which did download with the .QFX extension) in Quicken Mac 2017 I got an error:
    >
    > DOWNLOAD UNAVAILABLE
    > Quicken is unable to update this account because Web Connect support for your financial institution has been either temporarily, or permanently discontinued [CC-885].
    >
    >

I’m having the same problem.
  • josi_ok
    josi_ok Member ✭✭
    Hmmm. Maybe it depends on which bank you came from. I was at Suntrust. I'm also using the current Windows subscription version of Quicken Deluxe.
  • James Wilbourne
    James Wilbourne Member ✭✭✭
    > @josi_ok said:
    > Hmmm. Maybe it depends on which bank you came from. I was at Suntrust. I'm also using the current Windows subscription version of Quicken Deluxe.

QFX works for me - Also a Suntrust customer and same Quicken versions ...
  • zarelle
    zarelle Member
    Are Suntrust banks still open in your area? Ares have closed down and we have to use Truist. Since we switched I cant use quicken
  • This merger was poorly implemented vis-a-vis using One-step update (OSU) for my SunTrust Bank checking account. All of a sudden, I was "stranded." After much phone time with Quicken and SunTrust, I found a "work-around." I can log in on SunTrust/Truist website and then download transactions into Quicken (there is an option to download in about three different formats, one of which is QFX. But this is less convenient than using OSU. In Quicken, at Tools, Account List, SunTrust, when I try to "upgrade the connection method" I'm prompted to enter my SunTrust username and PW and I do. Then I get a pop-up that says my Bank requires me to change my password. But the PW rules there contradict SunTrust's own PW rules: the pop-up says no special characters are allowed, but SunTrust REQUIRES a special character! In my opinion, Truist should fix this immediately.
  • josi_ok
    josi_ok Member ✭✭
    Our Suntrust branch shut down and moved in with an existing nearby BB&T branch, which got re-signed as Truist / BB&T / Suntrust.
  • geoffd
    geoffd Member ✭✭
    Quicken Mac has always been the red-headed stepchild of Quicken products.

Thanks for responses Windows Users, but has anyone been able to import a SunTrust .QFX file into Quicken for Mac?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    geoffd said:
    Quicken Mac has always been the red-headed stepchild of Quicken products.

Thanks for responses Windows Users, but has anyone been able to import a SunTrust .QFX file into Quicken for Mac?
    Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac have different lists of what financial institutions are available and as such can have different responses for the same financial institution.

You are posting on a Quicken Windows thread/category, you might have better results at finding what other Quicken Mac users are seeing if you post your own question in a Quicken Mac category or find an existing one for Quicken Mac that already exists.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • geoffd
    geoffd Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I got to this thread after selecting Quicken for Mac and the searching for Truist which dropped me in a Windows forum. Boo on those search parameters.
  • Bione
    Bione Member ✭✭✭
    Suntrust is moving customers to Truist online banking. I just called the Suntrust number for online support and they claim Quicken is supported. Nothing about a later date. Can we get a clear answer from Quicken on the status here. Also if there is a good work around other than manually dealing with QFX files then lets here it.
  • zarelle
    zarelle Member
    I have Suntrust/truist. I just was able to connect to my accounts! Highlight your account, choose edit settings, then choose edit connection TYPE. It will open the Suntrust connections available Choose the first one: SUNTRUST (I use to have to use suntrust web connect.) then link your account. Hope this helps someone else!
  • I went to update my Truist/Suntrust account this morning and it worked! I have no idea. I just did the same things I have done over the last 10 days. Good luck everyone.
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    Today I downloaded the QFX file and this time it even came with a .QFX extension, imagine that! Last time I tried, it had a .PDF extension and I was too impatient to even try changing it.  Anyway, I was able to download the .QFX file from Truist and when I double clicked it, Quicken immediately recognized it as applying to my existing account from Suntrust.  So that worked.  Now my only issue is that the Suntrust where we have a safety deposit box is closing . . . not a Quicken problem though!
  • josi_ok
    josi_ok Member ✭✭
    James J- Yeah, I find that Web Connect works (and they fixed the .PDF suffix bug). It is a manual process, but glad they got at least that much working. Would be nice if they got Express Web Connect working (fully automatic download and update) working, too.
  • josi_ok
    josi_ok Member ✭✭
    After some Googling, I came upon this site:

https://www.simmonsbank.com/intuit/quicken-windows-express-web-connect

I followed the steps exactly and got Quicken working with Suntrust again. The only change I made is in Task 3, Step 6, I entered "Suntrust" and selected the first entry, "Suntrust Bank" (Entering "Truist" doesn't show any results).

Worked like a charm for me. Good luck to others.
  • T369
    T369 Member ✭✭
    I can't get it to work, so what am I doing differently?

I tried editing the connection type as well as deactivating and reactivating. Each time I'm prompted to change my password: "This institution requires that you change your Suntrust Password the first time you connect". But one of the criteria for the new password states that I must have at least 4 and no more than 8 characters.

I know that's not right because my current Suntrust password is over 8 characters. Just for laughs, I even shorten it to 8 characters, but when the clicked the change password button it errors out saying "Oops, Did you mistype your login?" How the heck did I mistype my login when it took me to the change password screen in the first place. SMH!
  • ATLuser
    ATLuser Member ✭✭
    This just worked for me: On the same day that Truist notified me by email that I should switch to using the new Truist mobile app, Quicken’s online update (aka One Step Update) said that it didn’t recognize my password. All of my attempts to reconnect using the normal Quicken process failed. So this is what I remember doing… In the Account Details>Online Services window, I Deactivated the account (but kept the account in my Quicken list). I then started up a new Account Setup (within the same Quicken account), but Quicken automatically forced me to use SunTrust again. I determined that this was still OK, because I confirmed that if you go to www.suntrust.com, you can still log into your account. Also, if you go to www.truist.com and select their account login window, you choose either SunTrust or BB&T from a drop-down selection and then you are redirected (in my case) to a SunTrust login website. All of this means (to me) that Truist Bank hasn’t set up its internal operations to bring our former SunTrust and BB&T accounts into the Truist.com website. Which explains why you can’t (currently) find “Truist Bank” in Quicken’s new account setup process. Which means that, for now, you should continue to use SunTrust in the Quicken downloading process. Note: If Quicken is forcing you to create a “new password” login and you can’t get past that window (the submit button is still greyed out), then try this method: When you get the prompt to enter a new password, you can enter your current password (do not create and enter a new password) and then use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to submit your password, which then completes the Quicken set up process without an error message. After getting past this step, you follow the normal Quicken process of selecting the accounts you want to download into Quicken by assigning, ignoring, or adding to Quicken. Everything is working fine for me again.