Some download transactions from my Fidelity Cash Account do not show as cleared.

For several months, some downloaded transactions from my Fidelity Cash Account do not show as cleared. I accept download transactions individually. I have to manually update the transaction to show as cleared. When I reconcile, it's always out of balance due to the manually cleared transactions. I have to subtract the amount of the manually cleared transactions from the "Ending Balance" when I begin reconciliation in order to get a balanced reconciliation. I've seen some posting for non-cleared transactions where the solution is to deactivate and reactivate the bank account. Is this the recommended solution for my situation?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Walter13@ said:
    In my case, automatic entry is Off. I don't know what automatic entry even means. What does it do and should it be ON?
    It means that instead of the transactions going through the Downloaded Transactions tab and you accepting them into the register, the transactions go directly into the register and you "review" them by clicking on the blue dot in the status column.  I don't recommend automatic transaction entry mode in investment accounts because certain bugs that are in this mode in investment accounts.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Are these uncleared transactions from the last day or two of the statement period? If so, there's probably no good solution; it's a timing issue (although it's logically absurd for a transaction to download as uncleared). Can't you simply reconcile while leaving those transactions uncleared and then clear them after reconciling? Wouldn't that save you a step or 2?
    I have a similar but opposite problem at Morgan Stanley. I get 1 or 2 dividends on the last day of the statement period which download as cleared but don't appear in the paper statement (they appear the following month). I have to manually un-clear them, reconcile, and re-clear them. Just so you don't feel alone. ;)

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you are reconciling the account using the online balance, I suggest you switch to reconciling the account to a statement obtained from the financial institution: open the investment register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, uncheck Reconcile using online balance, select OK, open the checking register, and press Ctrl + R 
  • Walter13@
    Walter13@ Member ✭✭
    I'm reconciling the account to a statement from the financial institution (Fidelity Cash Mgt). My checking register is linked to Fidelity. My checking account was formally at Bank of America and I reconciled to the BOA statement each month for 20+ years and never had this issue. I switched my checking account to Fidelity several months ago and often see this issue. So, it seems there is an issue with the download process specifically with Fidelity. I try to always enter transactions into the register usually before they are posted in Fidelity and "match" the Fidelity transactions during the download process. Going forward, I plan to refrain from entering transactions into the register and allow the download process to "add" transactions not found in the register and see if that makes a difference. I should not have to do this but is might help Quicken Support better identify the problem. Any other thoughts?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Walter13@ said:
    I'm reconciling the account to a statement from the financial institution (Fidelity Cash Mgt). My checking register is linked to Fidelity. My checking account was formally at Bank of America and I reconciled to the BOA statement each month for 20+ years and never had this issue. I switched my checking account to Fidelity several months ago and often see this issue. So, it seems there is an issue with the download process specifically with Fidelity. I try to always enter transactions into the register usually before they are posted in Fidelity and "match" the Fidelity transactions during the download process. Going forward, I plan to refrain from entering transactions into the register and allow the download process to "add" transactions not found in the register and see if that makes a difference. I should not have to do this but is might help Quicken Support better identify the problem. Any other thoughts?

Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.
  • Walter13@
    Walter13@ Member ✭✭
    Regarding the answer from Rocket J Squirrel, I will try your suggestion to not manually clear these uncleared downloaded transactions and see what happens during reconciliation. I still think there is a issue unique to the Fidelity download process as opposed to other financial institutions.
  • Walter13@
    Walter13@ Member ✭✭
    Quicken Version: R35.31, Build: 27.1.35.31. Financial Institution: Fidelity Investments. Direct Connect.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Walter13@ said:
    Quicken Version: R35.31, Build: 27.1.35.31. Financial Institution: Fidelity Investments. Direct Connect.

There are a few well known issues with the Cash Management Account from Fidelity Investments besides the unreliability of the online balance.   Even when Automatic entry is Off, the imported transactions will appear in the register as if Automatic Entry is On and the red flag icon beside the account in the Account Bar will clear when the import completes.  
  • Walter13@
    Walter13@ Member ✭✭
    In my case, automatic entry is Off. I don't know what automatic entry even means. What does it do and should it be ON?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Walter13@ said:
    It means that instead of the transactions going through the Downloaded Transactions tab and you accepting them into the register, the transactions go directly into the register and you "review" them by clicking on the blue dot in the status column.  I don't recommend automatic transaction entry mode in investment accounts because certain bugs that are in this mode in investment accounts.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/