Why does the market value of my investment account show as negative

Options
I have the correct cash balance which is zero and I managed to get that right. I reconciled the account and all the reinvestment done by my broker is properly recorded but the market value shows as negative (red) when in fact the market value should be black. The sum of the cash balance and the market value is the correct value of the account IF I ignore that he market value is red. I have no idea what I am doing wrong

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Make sure there are no hidden Placeholders which are confusing the issue. Go to Edit > Preferences > Investing Transactions and make sure Show hidden transactions is checked.

Beyond that, the Market Value should be Shares * Share Price. If either of those is negative, the value will be negative.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Calm_Zen_Guy
    Options
    Thanks, I have confirmed that there are no hidden transactions.

The share price * the shares is equal to the amount of the market value but it is showing as negative instead of positive number. I have attached what I see. The account has a single cash deposit which was then that has small quarterly distributions which are all properly relected with positive and negatives.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What happened to the cash that was deposited? Was it used to purchase a money market fund or something?

If you click on Holdings when viewing the account, what do you see? Are the share count and and price per share correct?  
    QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, I have confirmed that there are no hidden transactions.

The share price * the shares is equal to the amount of the market value but it is showing as negative instead of positive number. I have attached what I see. The account has a single cash deposit which was then that has small quarterly distributions which are all properly relected with positive and negatives.

Can you please show us any 1 purchase transaction in the account?  I suspect that resolving your chosen sample will also resolve the remaining securities.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Calm_Zen_Guy
    Options
    To Jim_Harman

Transaction 1 - I have an opening cash balance of 0.00

Transaction 2 - transfer of $XX from our bank account which Quicken recorded as a "Transfer" under the Cash Amt Column. The Cash Bal went up by $XX and the Inv. Amt shows +$XX

Next transaction is Bought Mutual Fund at SHARE# @ $PRICE (per the investment fund staatement. The Share Balance is SHARE# Inv Amt is +$XX and the Cash Amt is shows -$XX and the Cash Bal = 0.00

Holdings show teh current share price - the current number of shares - both positive and the negative market value I shared previously and a positive cost basis.

I am scratching my head!
  • Calm_Zen_Guy
    Options
    To NotACPA

Here is a shot of one transaction.
This discussion has been closed.