Please help me with file on repaired pc

Options
My hard drive completely crashed on my computer. I replaced the hard drive and began installing my files from my external drive. I previously had Quicken 2008 Deluxe installed but I was unable to find my Quicken disc so I purchased a new disc with Quicken 2008 Home and Business. I installed the Quicken and I am trying to get it to read and install my saved QDF files but I keep getting the error message Cannot open file. The QDF file is from a later version of Quicken. I had Quicken 2008 Deluxe and now I have Quicken 2008 Home and Business. What am I doing wrong? I was able to get my Quicken home inventory transferred. I have QDF files going back probably 10 years. Can anyone help me? Many thanks in advance! Mike

Best Answers

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Shucks,  you could have downloaded 2013 for free.  You need to update the program.   If you have an older version, One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

If you want to move up to 2013 post back.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you haven't already, I suggest you download and apply the Quicken 2008 Release R9 update from: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

Alternately, you may download and install the free Quicken 2013 Deluxe.
  • Mikemonica
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I will try the patch. If no luck I will try the 2013 deluxe. I will let you know the results.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi @Mikemonica,

It could be a problem with the backup file you are trying to restore. Have you tried opening any other of the recent backup files of your Quicken datafile with the 2008 H&B version?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Mikemonica
    Options
    Thank you all so much for you advice. I installed patches 7,8 and 9, and that did the trick. Looks as though all of my files are back. I am very grateful that you took your time to assist me.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, it's a forgone conclusion they need the update patch.

If you want to move up to Quicken2013.....
    If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

How to use an intermediate version to convert to a newer version

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    QW2008 was even worse than the other years, there was a file format change between R1 & R2 which makes files from the later releases completely unreadable by R1 which is what is on the CD. 

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.