Does anybody find "phantom transaction" after one step update?

judo7804
judo7804 Member ✭✭
Today after I did a one step update my credit card account reflected numerous "phantom transactions" Transactions that were neither a payment or a deposit. They were just the date and payee and nothing else. I contacted my credit card company and they showed nothing on their end. That leads me to wonder if there may be a glitch with Quicken to cause these. Been using Quicken for years and have never noticed these before. Can anybody shed light on the subject? The payees entered are whimsical and make no sense, things like Dje Sxmr I.

Best Answer

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It always helps us to know your version of Quicken (Help menu > About) and what is the credit card.
    The phantom transaction are not that unusual if I think I know what you are referring to, especially with Discover Card.  It is not Quicken's doing, rather old methods the financial institution uses to prepare the data in their download file to send to Quicken, which causes some cryptic over-run data with zero values.  And it is not Quicken's responsibility to detect and correct these, rather to provide to you exactly what Quicken receives and let you decide what to do with them.  And you just have to live with them unfortunately and delete them.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't I seen that before? PayPal or some other credit card adding a second transaction with $0.00 amount because there's more transaction data (Payee plus Memo text) that can fit in one line?
    What credit card account are you having problems with?
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It always helps us to know your version of Quicken (Help menu > About) and what is the credit card.
    The phantom transaction are not that unusual if I think I know what you are referring to, especially with Discover Card.  It is not Quicken's doing, rather old methods the financial institution uses to prepare the data in their download file to send to Quicken, which causes some cryptic over-run data with zero values.  And it is not Quicken's responsibility to detect and correct these, rather to provide to you exactly what Quicken receives and let you decide what to do with them.  And you just have to live with them unfortunately and delete them.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• judo7804
    judo7804 Member ✭✭
    Thanks to UKR and to BK. Answered my question and put my mind at ease. Oddly enough it was Discover, lol. My Quicken version is R35.31, Build 27.1.35.31. I really appreciate both of your responses.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    judo7804 said:
    Thanks to UKR and to BK. Answered my question and put my mind at ease. Oddly enough it was Discover, lol. My Quicken version is R35.31, Build 27.1.35.31. I really appreciate both of your responses.

Discover is notorious for sending $0 transactions, just accept and delete them.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In truth I haven't really heard of any other financial institution that does this, only Discovery.  Well at least for non investment accounts.

I'm moving accounts from Vanguard to JP Morgan Chase and it actually sends down a zero amount transaction that is basically a memo (in the Payee/Description) saying that the transfer is in progress a day or so before the actual transactions download.   :)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.