how to void or delete a quicken check pay payment after check has been sent?

Options
2»

Comments

• Mike10c
    Mike10c Member
    Options

I have this exact same problem currently. It has been over a year and no fix supplied. Surely this has happened to others like me, and will continue to happen. Why is it such an issue to have this problem fixed?

• Rx
    Rx Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This is just one of the many bugs that lead me to stop using check pay and quick pay. I know use my bank’s bill pay service. It uses ACH transfers when it can, otherwise it sends a check. Just like the old Quicken bill pay used to do. It also lets me set up schedule payment transactions, which I have been missing for a very long time. If s check is voided, I can void it in Quicken. I never have connection problems between Quicken and the bank, nor do I have to worry if Quicken and the bank are changing, how they talk to one another.

It sucks that we are paying for a service that can’t be used reliably, but that’s the game Quicken has chosen to play.

• harterpk
    harterpk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have had a need to VOID a check pay transaction, because quicken claims the check was sent and seems to have been lost in the mail. I made a separate payment to the credit card and the customer service person advised me to stop payment on the check. I wanted to have a record of the check in my register without adding a fake transaction to correct the balance. I tried to void it and ran into the blockades described above.

After playing around, I found the following workaround. This may not work for everyone, and it may not work forever, but the following has worked for me:

1. click on the Check-No field to select the transaction
    2. CTRL-V to mark the transaction VOID
    3. confirm that you want to void the transaction — this makes the transaction look voided
    4. use the up/down arrow to move to the next/previous transaction
    5. quicken displays a message that the transaction has been modified and asks if you want to save the changes —> say yes.

YMMV

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

CTRL-V only works to void if you have your Quicken key mappings set to Quicken Standard. If they're set to Windows Standard, CTRL-V will Paste as is usual in Windows. In that case, you must choose Void from the transaction menu.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• harterpk
    harterpk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Rocket!

I assume that using the menu will produce the same results.

paul

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I assume that using the menu will produce the same results.

Yes. But remember this only marks the transaction void. It does not go out into the real world and cancel the transaction.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• harterpk
    harterpk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Of course!! The goal was not to "cancel" the transaction, i.e. keep Quicken from printing the check.

The premise was that a printed check had to be voided because it was lost or destroyed, and one wants to maintain a record in the register.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options
    • According to the Release Notes for version R 53.16 (Nov 2023)
    • - Customers can now cancel scheduled Check Pay payments and delete associated transactions in a single action when the payment is still in the Processing state, simplifying the process and eliminating the need to perform multiple steps.
      - Customers can now delete Check Pay transactions from the register even after they have been sent, providing better control over the transaction history.

Just curious … Does this meet your needs?

• harterpk
    harterpk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

No. I don't want to delete the transaction. I rejected that option. I want to have a record of check number 90xxx as having been voided.

• Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 19
    Options

Agree. Unfortunately, the only way to do it is to delete the transaction. Not good. I need a record of the voided transaction, because it was issued. Deleting means it never existed. Now I have to add a manual voided transaction back in to keep a record. Poor execution of a new feature.

harterpk - I tried your workaround. It worked! Thanks! I doubt I will remember this for next time.