Using Quicken Data on two computers

I know that Quicken does not support network operation. I wish it did. Nevertheless I primarily use Quicken on my desktop computer in my home office. On occasion I do want to view my Quicken data on my laptop to do analysis etc. I primarily use Quicken only to track investments.

I want to know what is the best practice to do this. I seems my options are to put a backup on Onedrive and then restore that backup on my laptop. Or, I could copy the QDF file to my Onedrive and then copy that same QDF file to my laptop and open it from there.

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

I know that I cannot make any changes on to my laptop file, or would have to remember to make the same changes again on the Desktop.

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The copy is the better choice.  It seems that whenever you do a restore it creates an new "Quicken cloud data set" and they only allow a "limited amount" of these data sets.  If you exceed the number allowed you have to contact Quicken support to delete one (and from what I have heard they will only delete one at a time).

So for a case where you are going to do this frequently the copy is the better way.

jvprice6 said:
    I know that I cannot make any changes on to my laptop file, or would have to remember to make the same changes again on the Desktop.
    You certain can make changes on your laptop file, and don't have to make duplicate changes, you just have to remember to copy that file back to OneDrive and back on to the machine at work.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    We use a remote desktop client to access the Windows desktop where we maintain Quicken.  There are a variety of free implementations available.  If you're Windows and network savvy, I recommend Microsoft's Remote Desktop.  If you want simplicity, I recommend TeamViewer.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The copy is the better choice.  It seems that whenever you do a restore it creates an new "Quicken cloud data set" and they only allow a "limited amount" of these data sets.  If you exceed the number allowed you have to contact Quicken support to delete one (and from what I have heard they will only delete one at a time).

So for a case where you are going to do this frequently the copy is the better way.

jvprice6 said:
    You certain can make changes on your laptop file, and don't have to make duplicate changes, you just have to remember to copy that file back to OneDrive and back on to the machine at work.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    We use a remote desktop client to access the Windows desktop where we maintain Quicken.  There are a variety of free implementations available.  If you're Windows and network savvy, I recommend Microsoft's Remote Desktop.  If you want simplicity, I recommend TeamViewer.
  • jvprice6
    jvprice6 Member ✭✭
    This is GREAT! Thanks so much for your suggestion. I have never tried REMOTE DESKTOP. It worked very well. No lag in presentation. Thanks