Bank Reconciliation - No transactions - Prior balance wrong on report

Options
Goes211
Goes211 Member ✭✭✭
I use the subscription version of Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property (US).

I have a checking account that had no transactions last month (Oct) and no outstanding transactions.

If there are no cleared transactions in a month, Quicken does not allow me to reconcile the account. I go to Tools -> Reconcile an Account -> Reconcile without Downloading, then Use paper statement. I type in the date (10/31/2021)and the Ending balance (same as the Prior Balance) and click "OK". I get a message that says "There are no uncleared items to reconcile". While this is true, I'd still like to create an updated report and there don't appear to be an options to still tell Quicken to reconcile.

When I go to Reports -> Banking -> Reconciliation, I can create a new reconciliation report for 10/31, but the Previous Balance on the report shows the same Previous Balance that was on the Sept bank reconciliation, along with the one transaction that cleared in September. It basically looks like the 10/31 bank rec is exactly the same as the 9/30 report, which is odd.

How do I get the 10/31 report to show the correct Previous Balance that matches the ending balance from 9/30?

Is there a setting I can change, or is this a glitch with Quicken?

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I suggest you enter a temporary zero amount transaction in the register to coerce Quicken into allowing you to reconcile the register (check the temporary transaction as cleared).  After you have successfully completed the reconciliation with the temporary transaction, you should be able delete the temporary transaction and produce the desired reconciliation report.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If there's nothing to reconcile, and thus no reconciliation, what would you expect to show in a reconciliation report?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I suggest you enter a temporary zero amount transaction in the register to coerce Quicken into allowing you to reconcile the register (check the temporary transaction as cleared).  After you have successfully completed the reconciliation with the temporary transaction, you should be able delete the temporary transaction and produce the desired reconciliation report.
  • Goes211
    Goes211 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @NotACPA said:
    > If there's nothing to reconcile, and thus no reconciliation, what would you expect to show in a reconciliation report?

I would at least like the beginning (prior) balance to match what was reconciled at the end of the prior period on my report, I guess. I'm so demanding...I know.
  • Goes211
    Goes211 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Sherlock
    Thanks for the suggestion. That worked as a way to at least get a reconciliation done with accurate balances. I can handle 1 transaction for $0.00 showing up if that's what it takes.
This discussion has been closed.