Does Quicken put folders onto the desktop?

Options
For the longest time I've had three folders on my desktop, which aren't ones I remember putting there. The folders are:

- Inet
- Log
- Config

Normally I don't have the time to look into them, but tonight I had some more time, so I performed a web search trying to find out what they're about. I came across some web sites that mentioned folders Inet and Log both being put there by Quicken. I get the feeling that they're there, normally hidden from the user. However, I always turn on Show hidden files, folder and drives. Also I turn off Hide extensions for known file types. I always want to see what's on my system, when I bring up File Explorer in Windows 10 or 11.

Anyway, the implication was that Inet and Log are there, placed there by Quicken for some reason, and normally hidden from the user's view. Because I habitually show what Windows by default hides, I see these folders.

At least that's my understanding. So, am I correct about folder INet and Log on my desktop? Are they some sort of artifact put in place by Quicken? And is the folder Config another Quicken folder placed on the desktop for some reason?
Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Those three folders are normally maintained in the hidden \ProgramData\Quicken folder.  It's possible some Quicken installation problem dropped them in your Desktop folder but it's also possible they're from some other other program.  Examining the contents of the folders might be enlightening.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will bet you will find that they are all empty.  What's more if they are on your Desktop, I will bet that either your Quicken data file is on the Desktop or you are starting from a Quicken Desktop shortcut that has the starting directory set to the Desktop.

From time to time Quicken puts all kinds of folders that belong with the configuration log files where Quicken starts from.  Put doesn't usually put anything in them.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can delete those folders/files.  I would change the start directory on the shortcut to where your data file is stored,  that way at least if Quicken creates them again most likely it will create them where your data file is instead of on your Desktop.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.