Switching Back to Reconciliation to Online Balance

With all the chaos surrounding the Schwab download reconfiguration, I ended up switching my Schwab checking account reconciliation from online to paper. Despite the warnings I now want to go back to reconciliation to online balance which is what I had been doing. However, when I do this the window lists the online balance to 0.00. The register is showing the correct online balance. Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Thank you.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suggest you wait until Schwab reliably provides the correct online balance to Intuit and Intuit reliably provides the correct online balance to Quicken.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I suggest you wait until Schwab reliably provides the correct online balance to Intuit and Intuit reliably provides the correct online balance to Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see a screenshot of what you are describing since it shouldn't be possible.
    (You can drag and drop and image on the comment box to attach it).

Are you saying that these two numbers are different?

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Kathleen2015
    Kathleen2015 Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue. :/ No "online balance" on register even showing anymore as the picture above shows it still and yes, Under "use online balance, balance as of ____ is" says 0.0.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    wab49 said:
     The register is showing the correct online balance.
    If the balance below is the one you are referring to as the "online balance", that isn't the online balance it is your register balance.

And like @Sherlock said until they get it the online balance fixed you can't reconcile to it.
    Signature:
  • phildapill
    phildapill Member ✭✭
    Charles Schwab Bank online balance missing issue...Bookmark this official page...https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7902329/new-11-24-21-charles-schwab-checking-account-missing-online-balance#latest
  • wab49
    wab49 Member ✭✭
    Thanks all for the various comments. phildapill's link seems to explain the issue. My online balance is updating correctly at the bottom of the register (separate from the register balance) and matches the balance on the Schwab web site. However, that balance is not showing in the online reconciliation window. So, the information is flowing from Schwab but not (yet) being handled correctly by Quicken.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    wab49 said:
    Thanks all for the various comments. phildapill's link seems to explain the issue. My online balance is updating correctly at the bottom of the register (separate from the register balance) and matches the balance on the Schwab web site. However, that balance is not showing in the online reconciliation window. So, the information is flowing from Schwab but not (yet) being handled correctly by Quicken.
    The information is not yet flowing from Schwab to Intuit.  If Intuit provided the online balance, Quicken would handle it as it does for many financial institution.

Again, I suggest you wait until Schwab reliably provides the correct online balance to Intuit and Intuit reliably provides the correct online balance to Quicken.
  • wab49
    wab49 Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, I'm assuming that as a SuperUser you know a lot more about this than I do. For example, I was not aware that with Quicken being independent of Intuit, Intuit was still handling the information flow. Regardless, I have no problem waiting and per the link sent from phildapill, Quicken seems aware of the online reconciliation issue. However, it does not seem intuitive to me that the information is not flowing to Quicken given that when I download, the online balance shown under the register (not the register balance) does update accurately to the real online balance as shown on the Schwab web site. Anyway, I'm happy to wait and no need to prolong the discussion.
    Thanks.
  • Kathleen2015
    Kathleen2015 Member ✭✭
    I'll read the article that was posted. I'm sure that will tell me why.

See my register picture. "online balance" not even there. Red circle. I miss it!! I do weird things and have lots of "saves" so my register balance is always much lower than my actual online balance. Then in reconcile picture the online balance says zero. (Nothing matches my register balance but I'm used to that because of my savings transactions.) I'd be interested if anyone knows why "online balance" isn't even listed on the register page anymore. It used to be. I've looked for a setting but don't see one related to that. Otherwise I agree with wab49. I'll wait. My quicken registers go back to 1998. :smile:

Appreciate everyones time very much!! Thank you for this service.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Kathleen2015 Thanks for posting that screenshot, that is the piece of information I was looking for.

So in fact there no Online Balance at all, it isn’t like it really differs from what is in the reconcile dialog, nothing equals zero.

There is certainly a difference between saying that the financial institution is sending zero when it should be another amount, and there isn’t an online balance at all.

The only times I have not seen an Online Balance at the bottom of the register is when it is a manual entry/offline account.

Given that this is an online account one has to has to assume that it isn’t just the fact that an account is setup for downloading that triggers the Online Balance to be shown, but also there has to be one in the downloaded data, and in this case there isn’t one.

As users we can’t tell where in the stream it not getting through, just waiting until Quicken Inc, Intuit, and Charles Schwab work it out. 
    Signature:
  • phildapill
    phildapill Member ✭✭
    Missing Online balance for Charles Schwab investment checking account has been corrected with this latest patch located here...https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20220031#Comment_20220031

Finally!
This discussion has been closed.