Mortgage Payment not showing up in Expense report

Options
Hello, I set up my monthly mortgage payment under "Property and Debt" and the transaction works fine. (Subtracts the gross amount from my bank and splits the principal and interest under Property and Debt) However, when I look at my Monthly Expense Report, there are three line items; Loan Payment, Interest and TOTAL Loan Payment. Only the Interest populates; not the Loan Payment portion. I noticed when I look at the Monthly Payment Schedule, my mortgage company has brackets [] around it and those are the amounts that are not populating. The "Payee" in the loan shows my mortgage company, however, it is not in my Payee dropdown or one of my memorized payees. The ledger account from which the payment comes from shows the Mortgage Company name, and it has "--Split--" listed. I'm looking to get the mortgage company principal to populate in my monthly expense report. Thank you.

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    To have the transfer portion of loan payment transaction in your payment account to your loan account appear as an expense, I suggest you customize your Monthly Expense Report appropriately: open the report and press Alt + C

Note: The loan account should be unchecked on the Accounts tab, the loan account should be checked as a transfer on the Categories tab, and you should not select exclude all transfers on the Advanced tab.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ONLY the Interest portion of your payment IS an expense.  The principal portion is a reduction of your outstanding liability (the mortgage) i.e., it's a transfer.
    An Expense reduces your Net Worth.  A transfer moves money between accounts but doesn't reduce your Net Worth.  Any more than moving your wallet from one pocket to another reduces your Net Worth.
    Consider looking at a Cash Flow report to see the money in/out of your various accounts.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    To have the transfer portion of loan payment transaction in your payment account to your loan account appear as an expense, I suggest you customize your Monthly Expense Report appropriately: open the report and press Alt + C

Note: The loan account should be unchecked on the Accounts tab, the loan account should be checked as a transfer on the Categories tab, and you should not select exclude all transfers on the Advanced tab.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ONLY the Interest portion of your payment IS an expense.  The principal portion is a reduction of your outstanding liability (the mortgage) i.e., it's a transfer.
    An Expense reduces your Net Worth.  A transfer moves money between accounts but doesn't reduce your Net Worth.  Any more than moving your wallet from one pocket to another reduces your Net Worth.
    Consider looking at a Cash Flow report to see the money in/out of your various accounts.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.