How to handle "calls"

I just installed Quicken Premier for Windows, and I'm trying to get a more-logical accounting of the calls in my portfolio. Quicken lumps all the calls together, not with the stocks each call applies to, and doesn't seem to display the actual value of the stocks. For example, if a stock is selling on the market for $50/sh, but I have a call to sell it at $40/sh, it should be valued at $40/sh in my portfolio. I notice in the comments that this has been a problem for users for some time now. Has it been addressed? How do I get an accurate valuation?

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options market prices typically come from the broker in a download; they aren't going to be picked up in Quicken's downloads of security prices.  You might have to look at your broker's site and enter end of day market prices manually.  In your Holdings view securities are sorted alphabetically, so if you wan to see your calls next to the stock you own (covered call) simply rename it so it settles into the right line.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your stock gets called at $40, you need to record a sale at  $40.  Market price at that time is irrelevant.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• BrianW95
    BrianW95 Member
    So true. But I'm interested in what it looks like before it gets called. I want to use the tools to evaluate how the portfolio's doing. If Quicken's telling me it's worth $50/sh because it hasn't struck yet, and the strike price is $40/sh, then Quicken's giving an exaggerated valuation. And when the portfolio tools use those inaccurate values, their analysis won't be worth much.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options market prices typically come from the broker in a download; they aren't going to be picked up in Quicken's downloads of security prices.  You might have to look at your broker's site and enter end of day market prices manually.  In your Holdings view securities are sorted alphabetically, so if you wan to see your calls next to the stock you own (covered call) simply rename it so it settles into the right line.