Year End Copy

Options
LostCanuck
LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about doing a year end copy, but concerned about loosing historical data. I'm using H&B Version R33.7 Canada edition.

A few questions:

1. Will reports like "Net Worth" retain historical value for past years? In my net worth reports, I include checking and credit cards accounts

2. What happens to values from closed accounts in the "Net Worth" report?

3. How do I looking up historical records? Like when or how much I paid for something I bought 6 or 7 years ago. I find this data very useful

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Randy

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Since when most people ask this question, they are talking about removing data from their current data file, I will answer this as if you have selected that option.

Note Year-end-copy never removes any investment transactions, so they go unchanged in accounts/reports.

1) The data is gone so you aren't going to see it on reports.
    2) Closed accounts aren't treated any differently.  Assuming all the transactions are reconciled and are non-investment accounts the transactions will be removed, but the accounts themselves will remain.
    3) You would have open up the Archived File(s) or a backup and run your reports there.

Your concerns are exactly why SuperUsers recommend that you don't use this feature.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks @Chris_QPW and @Sherlock. I would be ok to lose the transaction data if the reports (i.e. Net Worth) retained the values from that year. I could go back to old files to find the data if I really wanted to find something. At some point files will get too large and some data would need to get purged.

@Chris_QPW last comment ..."Your concerns are exactly why SuperUsers recommend that you don't use this feature" makes the most sense. I will ignore this until I get to the point where the data file becomes too large to manage.

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whether you will lose historical data depends on whether you change the current Quicken file when you save the year-end archive.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Since when most people ask this question, they are talking about removing data from their current data file, I will answer this as if you have selected that option.

Note Year-end-copy never removes any investment transactions, so they go unchanged in accounts/reports.

1) The data is gone so you aren't going to see it on reports.
    2) Closed accounts aren't treated any differently.  Assuming all the transactions are reconciled and are non-investment accounts the transactions will be removed, but the accounts themselves will remain.
    3) You would have open up the Archived File(s) or a backup and run your reports there.

Your concerns are exactly why SuperUsers recommend that you don't use this feature.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • LostCanuck
    LostCanuck Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks @Chris_QPW and @Sherlock. I would be ok to lose the transaction data if the reports (i.e. Net Worth) retained the values from that year. I could go back to old files to find the data if I really wanted to find something. At some point files will get too large and some data would need to get purged.

@Chris_QPW last comment ..."Your concerns are exactly why SuperUsers recommend that you don't use this feature" makes the most sense. I will ignore this until I get to the point where the data file becomes too large to manage.

Thanks again for the great feedback.
This discussion has been closed.