Delete all transactions for prior year

Divemaster
Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
I have tried the archive and it leaves all the transfers from and to saving goals, I would guess because they are not reconciled?   Since they can't get reconciled, I don't know how to get rid of them.  Isn't there a way to get rid of everything?  For example prior to 12/31/2020 delete everything unless it is a transaction not yet reconciled (like an outstanding check)?  Also delete all the saving goal transactions since they will never get reconciled.   I don't want to see my old Scott Trade information or transfers or none of that stuff, thinking the only way is to start over.  Seems I did this before as I have used Quicken and saving goals since back around 1991.   Last I must have done a purge is 2006 as that is my oldest transaction.    Seems back then there was a process called Year End?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably don't want to delete EVERYTHING from the prior year anyway.  Any unreconciled transactions (issued in prior year but not yet reached your bank - i.e. Uncleared) would screw up your balances when they DID come in in the current year.
    And yes, unreconciled transactions are carried over ... since they should appear on your 1st statement of the new year.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I tried to go back and just keep last 4 years and still it won't delete those darn saving goals.  But it seems there is a new process being used now, use to be a year end process, now there is an archive option in regular backup I use each time I stop Quicken.  Years ago I got rid of everything including saving goals prior to 2006.  I tried this archive tonight and it doesn't get rid of much, leaves all those saving goals which I really use as projects bid on.  I can live with it, but I just like to keep things clean and get rid of stuff I don't need.  

I think it kept my Scottrade and TD America trade stuff, which is really old stuff and I don't have it reconciled. 

Anyway, I backed up prior to Archive and have done a restore so all my junk is back.   
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The year end copy has NEVER removed ANY investment transactions since they are required for proper record keeping.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just finished a test where I went in and deleted 9 investment accounts that were very old, zero balances and were hidden in the account list.  Did a printout of account balances and total net worth prior and after deleting investment accounts and all balanced.  So that is how I could get rid of them, I just don't like old stuff that is almost 10 years old laying around.  Now if I could figure out how to archive all but say the last five years and get those darn saving goals to also archive and be gone from the register. 
This discussion has been closed.