Vanguard no longer provides detailed tracking?

Sponks
Sponks Member ✭✭
edited January 2 in Investing (Mac)
Beginning December 2021, I began having problems syncing with my Vanguard accounts. I had assumed that there were issues that Vanguard was trying to resolve, and so did not take action. Today, I disconnected all my Vanguard accounts and attempted to re-establish downloading. However, I see the message "This financial institution only supports Simple Tracking." I used to be able to download transactions. Has something changed on the Quicken side?

I'm using Quicken Deluxe for Mac, which I keep up-to-date whenever a new update is available.

Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

  • I also am having a similar issue. In my case, I am migrating from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac. I noticed that on Quicken Mac after the migration, my Vanguard accounts were not updating, and were generating errors. When I tried to re-link the accounts, or even tried setting up the accounts from scratch, I noticed the message "This financial institution only supports Simple Tracking". However, I do not believe that this message is correct - on my Quicken Windows, the Vanguard accounts continue to be able to download transactions with no issues.

    I suspect that this is a problem specific to the Mac version of Quicken, as it is not happening on Windows.

    Please keep us posted on the status of diagnosing/resolving this issue. I would very much like to migrate my Quicken usage from Windows to Mac, but with this current limitation of Simple Tracking only on the Mac version, I am unlikely to migrate. It is important to me that I can maintain individual transactions in my investment accounts.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Sponks said:
    Beginning December 2021, I began having problems syncing with my Vanguard accounts. I had assumed that there were issues that Vanguard was trying to resolve, and so did not take action. Today, I disconnected all my Vanguard accounts and attempted to re-establish downloading. However, I see the message "This financial institution only supports Simple Tracking." I used to be able to download transactions. Has something changed on the Quicken side?

    I'm using Quicken Deluxe for Mac, which I keep up-to-date whenever a new update is available.

    Thanks.
    Hello @Sponks ,   

    I know these kinds of download issues are frustrating, and I am sorry that you are experiencing this problem. Are you able to add/link accounts normally when you use Simple Tracking? I know that this is not ideal, I simply want to confirm you are able to connect in some fashion.

    @chilihabanero ,

    Do you think you could submit logs regarding this issue? If you can, try to reproduce this message, then go to the Help option in the upper menu while Quicken is open and select Report a Problem. This way, a screenshot can be taken. You would then provide a brief description and select, Send to Quicken. Doing so would provide much needed information for our support team and assist them in achieving a more speedy path to resolution of the problem.


    Thanks,

    Quicken Jared 


  • Sponks
    Sponks Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared,

    Thanks for replying.

    Yes I can add the account. However, where I used to see the Transactions tab enabled, I now only see the Dashboard and Portfolio tabs enabled and the Transactions tab greyed out. When I first connected the account, there was a message at the top:

    "Quicken cannot connect to this account"

    The reason why I reached out to Quicken (and not Vanguard) is because I see that same message above my accounts for non-Vanguard accounts as well.

    Sponks
  • Sponks
    Sponks Member ✭✭
    > @Sponks said:
    > Hi Jared,
    >
    > Thanks for replying.
    >
    > Yes I can add the account. However, where I used to see the Transactions tab enabled, I now only see the Dashboard and Portfolio tabs enabled and the Transactions tab greyed out. When I first connected the account, there was a message at the top:
    >
    > "Quicken cannot connect to this account"
    >
    > The reason why I reached out to Quicken (and not Vanguard) is because I see that same message above my accounts for non-Vanguard accounts as well.
    >
    > Sponks

    I should add, though, that when retrying the download, the other non-Vanguard accounts can download transactions. It's just the Vanguard accounts that keep returning that error message.
  • Geoff Green
    Geoff Green Member ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue -- Vanguard hasn't connected for a bit, so I tried setting up online access anew as "Vanguard - Personal Investor" and it only offered my Simple Tracking. On the "bright" side, this new connection attempt failed so I wasn't able to download anything through Simple Tracking.
  • Papasoz
    Papasoz Member ✭✭
    Was able to switch to detailed in settings. BUT have same issue with downloads - not working. Submitted an error report
  • shie0041
    shie0041 Member
    I have a related problem in that I am new to Quicken and am unable to create an account on Vanguard in the first place. I provide my credentials and am then thrown back to the main register page.
  • Sponks
    Sponks Member ✭✭
    Is there any update to this, or does this merit opening a support case with Quicken? Simple tracking is pretty useless to me, and this feature had been there from the beginning. Does this have anything to do with the fact that I am on Deluxe (or on Mac)?
  • Sponks
    Sponks Member ✭✭
    Maybe this will provide you with a bit more information. I logged in into Vanguard and downloaded the transactions, and they import successfully into Quicken Deluxe for Mac.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Moderator mod
    Sponks said:
    Maybe this will provide you with a bit more information. I logged in into Vanguard and downloaded the transactions, and they import successfully into Quicken Deluxe for Mac.
    @Sponks,

    Thank you for keeping in contact with me and bringing me additional information and clarification about this matter.

    In this case, we would best be able to help you through directing you to the Quicken phone support team. Their contact information can be found in the link featured here:

    https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

    Feel free to continue speaking with us about any possible updates, and to reach out to the Quicken Community with any other questions or concerns.

    Thanks again,

    Quicken Jared 
  • jtjbt20x
    jtjbt20x Member ✭✭
    edited January 15
    I'm having the same problem with my Janney investing accounts. I had to re-link all of the accounts and when I tried, the only option I had was to use the simple tracking despite having detailed tracking for over five years. I then created a new Quicken file and tried to add new the accounts and received the same problem.

    A further confounding problem is when I tried to re-link or add the Janney accounts, all of my banking checking/savings accounts also appeared in the add/link accounts dialog.

    Any ideas?
  • smvl808
    smvl808 Member
    I think I may have found a fix. First I saved a quicken backup of my file. I went to "edit settings" on one of my vanguard accounts. Chose reset connection. Then selected the first Vanguard option under "Best results" from the list. (The second one for Personal Investors did not provide the Direct Connect option below). Then instead of using Quicken Connect, I chose Direct Connect. Just need to make sure you link your accounts properly by account number. This ended up reestablishing my brokerage account that had no transactions downloaded since August '21. Hope that helps others.